Tasks: Pre-Fall Semester
- Change phone messages back from temporary summer messages
- Publish schedule on web, phone message, and in handouts to Registration & advising staff
- Attempt to communicate with returning tutors re: intentions to work
- Touch base with Provost Office hiring liaison (Mischelle Pennoyer) about the hiring process for the year
- Consult last semester's recruitment prospects by class list (See Tasks: Spring Semester)
- Solidify semester schedule for staff (who works nights, days off)
- Make sure Learning Center representative is available for New Student Orientation activities. Prepare presentation & activities for students
- Ensure Learning Center representation at Faculty Convocation. Usually staff are expected to sit in on the main convocation activities. Prepare handouts & materials for faculty. Introduce yourself to new faculty especially.
- Interface with other campus departments about special tutoring arrangements: e.g. Housing
Tasks: Fall Semester
- Solidify semester schedule for tutors & testing center proctors
- Collect "Student Status Verification" forms (SSVs) from every student employee
- Orient every student to the sign-in system
- Visit every math & english class to announce services & welcome students "in the door"
- Visit upper division math & english classes to recruit tutors (new arrivals since last Spring)
- Have several sessions of tutor training designed & planned; announce date
- Publicize special events, especially near beginning of year.
- Late in Semester, determine recruiting prospects by printing out class lists for Math 107 & above, and consulting faculty on their top recommendations. Limit prospects coming out of Math 107 or 108 to the absolute best from those classes, since recruiting from these classes is usually an exception.
Tasks: Finals & Winter Holiday Break
- Determine Finals week schedule, week after finals, and week after that. Usually the Sunday before Finals week we are open for at least a couple extra hours. The week before winter closure, it is usually not necessary to be open. So if most staff have vacation plans, feel free to close entirely.
- Change Phone messages to reflect new schedule & upcoming closure. Include reopening dates for January.
- Order calendars for next year if needed
Tasks: Spring Semester
- Refer to last semester's recruiting prospects & begin to compile contact information
- Ask "linchpins" of the schedule--very talented tutors & proctors--to give advance notice of their schedules to begin crafting the core of the schedule.
- Collect schedules from tutors & proctors
- Begin recruiting & hiring for next academic year. Identify prospects & if possible, complete hiring paperwork before they leave for summer.
- Close out the year with tutor appreciation or other festivities.
Tasks: End of Spring Semester
- Go over staff contract letters for the next year
- Change phone messages to indicate upcoming closure & schedule change
- Determine summer schedule, taking into account Summer School classes & any special programs & initiatives
- Redirect phone lines & voice mail for off-contract employees to main line.
- Catch any needed faculty members for important meetings or "data dumps" before they go off contract for entire summer.
- Deliver schedule changes to registration & advising staff.
Content maintained by The Learning Center.