Who we are
We are upper-division writing students and faculty who have been specially trained to work with you on your writing and to help you become a better writer. We are genuinely interested in what you have to say, and we are known to be attentive, supportive, and helpful.
What we do
We discuss your writing with you. After all, we think that's what writers need most--readers who are interested in their writing and who want to respond to it. Thus, we hope you will visit us often--with anything from your biology paper to the poem you wrote last night. While we do not claim that we will always be able to respond to the content of a discipline-specific paper, we can certainly be of help with other aspects of it. Give us a try! You are also welcome to come see us if you're working on a scholarship application letter, a BLA portfolio, or a story of your own. Bring us your questions, concerns, or a request for feedback.
What We Don't Do
- We do not write, revise, or "fix" papers. We do not proofread (instead, we work with you on editing your papers if you so wish).
- We do not spend unlimited time with one student.
- We do not work on every aspect of a paper in one sitting.
- We do not estimate grades.
Signing Up for a Writing Tutor is Easy
- If you are in the neighborhood (Room 105 Egan Library), drop in and sign up. The sign up notebook will be on a table as you enter. Simply write your name in the most convenient time slot and be sure to be there in time for your tutoring session.
- We generally start tutoring at 11:00 and have tutors available until 5:00 or later. It is advisable to schedule a writing tutor in advance.
- If you can’t drop in and sign up, call (796-6187).
- Hopefully your scheduled writing appointment will work nicely. Remember, though, if you are ten minutes late, your appointment may be given to another student. When things don’t go as expected, be sure to call to cancel the appointment (796-6187).
What to Bring
- Bring the latest draft of the paper you want to discuss.
- Bring earlier drafts if you'd like us to look at the changes you've made.
- Bring the assignment handout from your instructor to help us understand the requirements for your assignment better.
- Bring questions you have for us, or be ready to let us know what kind of feedback you are hoping to get.
And most of all, remember: There isn't much we can do for you if your paper is due in an hour! To get the most out of your appointment, please make it well ahead of your deadline. Hope to see you soon!
We also offer distance writing tutoring for students who are ill, not in Juneau, or have childcare problems.
- Call the Writing Center (796-6187) and set up an appointment.
- E-mail us a copy of your essay and as much information about the assignment as possible, including instructions, problems, and concerns. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Call the Writing Center at your scheduled time and be sure you have a copy of the essay in front of you.
- The writing tutor will conference with you as if you are at a typical appointment.
- We do not go over essays and send them back to students. The student must be present either physically or by phone to be tutored.