Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

Frequently Asked Questions about the Enrollment Process

1. I have applied for admission, am I enrolled?

No, in order to be enrolled you need to complete the admissions process and register for classes. Once you are officially admitted and have registered for classes, you will be enrolled at UAS.

2. Do I have to wait to be admitted before I can register?

No, you can register before you are officially admitted to a degree program at UAS. However, you will not be able to receive financial aid until you are officially admitted to a degree program.

3. Do I have to apply for admissions just to take a class?

No, UAS is an open enrollment institution. This means that anyone can take a class at UAS as long as they meet the pre-requisites for the course.

4. Why do I have an advising hold on my account?

All new students are required to meet with their academic advisor prior to registering for classes. Meeting with your advisor does not have to be in person, it could be over the phone, through Skype, or even by email.

5. What if I can't get a hold of my advisor to register?

If you are unable to reach your advisor, you can always contact the School's program coordinator or the general advising centers.

UAS Schools:

  • School of Arts & Sciences: 907-796-6090
  • School of Career Education: 907-796-6120
  • School of Education: 907-796-6424

UAS General Advising:

  • Juneau Student Resource Center: 907-796-6000
  • Ketchikan Advising Center: 907-228-4508
  • Sitka Student Success Center: 907-747-7703

6. What do I do if I need special accommodations?

If you need special accommodations for your classes, you simply need to work with our Disability Services.

7. Can I register online?

Yes, after you have been working with your advisor they can set your permissions so that you can register online.

If you are a returning student (with no holds) or a non-degree seeking student you can also register online.

8. Should I register before my transfer credits have been transferred?

It depends. Typically the reason students wait until they have their official transfer evaluation done is so that they do not repeat any classes that transferred from their prior institution.

If you have met with your advisor and you have an unofficial transfer evaluation you should have an idea of what classes you have already completed and be able to register for classes at UAS.

9. Do I have to attend Orientation?

It depends on if you are a degree seeking student, registered for classes, and where you are located.

The Orientation at the Juneau Campus is required for all new students who are registered for 12 credits or more, regardless if you are a freshmen or transfer student. A mandatory fee will be placed on your account approximately one month before classes begin if you are required to attend Orientation.

The Ketchikan and Sitka Orientation programs are optional.

For more information, please visit our Orientation website.

10. When should I purchase my books?

You should purchase your books after you have registered for classes (and if you are not making any changes to your schedule).

If you are ordering your books online, make sure you allow enough time between your order date and delivery date, so that your books arrive prior to classes starting.

11. Do I have to get my books through the UAS Bookstore/MBS?

No, you do not have to purchase your books through the UAS Bookstore or MBS (online bookstore for all UAS distance classes).

Content maintained by Admissions. Feedback Form