Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

Information for Parents and Counselors

If your student is still in High School
Dual Enrollment
Tech Prep
UA College Savings Plan
UA Scholars

Visiting Campus
Schedule a Tour

Map of Juneau Campus
Map of: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Parking - Free on all UAS campuses!
Transportation: Air | Ferry
Trip Planner: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Newspapers: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka

Academic Calendar
Admissions deadlines:
        Fall - August 15
        Spring - December 15
        Summer - May 1
Scholarship deadline: Feb 15
UA Scholars application deadlines: May 1
FAFSA Deadline: none

Your Student's Educational Privacy
FERPA regulations
FERPA Release Form

Costs and Payment Options
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Financial Aid
Financial Aid FAQ's
Financial Aid Checklist
FAFSA - UAS FAFSA school code: 001065
Payment Options

Housing Options
On Campus Housing
Residence Life Guide
Off Campus Housing

Health and Safety
UAS Health Services: Juneau
Campus Security and Fire Safety
UAS Crime Statistics

Emergencies: please call 9-1-1
Police Departments: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Hospitals: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents, Guardians, and Counselors

1. Where should my student send their documents, test scores and official transcripts?

University of Alaska Southeast
Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801

2. How can my student qualify for in-state tuition?

To qualify for Alaska resident tuition, your student must be physically present in Alaska for two years prior to the published first day of instruction for the semester in which they apply and declare the intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely.

A dependent child (one who is unmarried, younger than age 24, and financially dependent on his/her parent or guardian) will be considered a resident for tuition purposes if he or she has a parent or guardian that qualifies as a current Alaska resident.

Dependent children of alumni who have received an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree from the University of Alaska also qualify for resident tuition.

Others eligible for resident tuition include, active duty military, their spouses and dependents, and residents of Sister Cities as approved by the Board of Regents.

Contact the Admissions Office for more details at (907) 796-6100 or

Application for Resident Tuition

3. How can my student qualify for Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition?

To qualify for Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition rates, the student must be a resident in one of the following states:

  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Hawai'i
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Please note that not all programs are eligible for WUE tuition. Students must attach a WUE Tuition Request to their application for admission requesting to be admitted under the WUE program.  

Students declared as WUE students are not eligible for resident tuition rates.

Contact the Admissions Office for more details at (907) 796-6100 or

4. I am an alum of the University of Alaska, can my child receive in-state tuition?

Yes, a dependent child of a person who holds an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree from any University of Alaska campus is eligible for resident tuition.

Application for Resident Tuition

5. Do I have to do my taxes before my child completes the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens on October 1 of each year for students who will be attending college the following fall semester. You do not need to complete this year's taxes before your student completes the FAFSA. Students filling out the FAFSA can use tax information from the previous year.

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows FAFSA applicants to access the tax return information needed to complete the FAFSA, and transfer the required information directly into the FAFSA from the IRS. The FAFSA includes a link to the IRS for applicants who are eligibile to use the Data Retrieval Tool.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

6. How do students apply for UAS scholarships?

The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and visit the Financial Aid website or call the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 for more information and scholarship deadlines.

UAS participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Student Loan, and Federal Work-Study programs in addition to state loan, and grant programs. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Some scholarships, however, are based on academic potential and performance.

The deadline for merit-based UAS scholarships is February 15th.

To apply for need-based programs, students should contact the Financial Aid office.

To begin the process for UAS scholarship, there are two portions, the first is through UAOnline and the second is through the UAS Financial Aid website. Please visit the Financial Aid website for step by step instructions.

If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 or toll free at 1-877-465-4827 ext. 6255.

7. Does my student need to take placement tests?

Before meeting with an academic advisor and registering for classes, incoming students who have not passed college level math or English courses need to take placement tests. Placement tests are available on all three campuses, and by distance as well. For more information on the placement tests, visit the Learning and Testing Center website.

8. My student is not in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka. Can they take placement tests?

Prospective students wishing to take a placement test in a location other than their campus of enrollment need to find a proctor (not a family member or friend) in their area and then follow the procedure for setting up a remote placement test according to the campus they plan on attending. Follow the link for campus of enrollment:

10. What is my student's ID number?

Once your student's application is processed, the Admissions Office will issue your student an ID number that will enable them to access UAOnlinewhere they can check on the status of their application, as well as apply for UA Scholarships, register for classes, and more.

Students are not obligated to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

11. How do I pay for my student's tuition?

You can pay for your student's tuition over the phone by contacting Student Accounts at (907) 796-6267. Please have your student's information ready.

Payment Options

12. How do I sign my student up for Orientation?

UAS Offers both a Fall and Spring Orientation program on the Juneau and Ketchikan campuses. Orientation is required for all new degree seeking students who are registered for 12 credits or more. We encourage students to sign up at the UAS Orientation webpage.

13. Is there a parent Orientation?

There is a parent Orientation offered during the Fall Orientation on the Juneau campus.

14. How can I check my student's grades?

Students are not obligated to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

15. Can an Admissions Representative visit our school?

Yes! UAS Admissions Representatives travel all over the state of Alaska and in the Lower 48. Please complete a Representative Visit Request form, or contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6069 or   

16. A group of our students will be in Juneau for an event. Can we visit campus?

Yes! We would be happy to set up a campus visit for any high school student or group that will be in Juneau. Please fill out a Visit Request form, or contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6069 or email

Content maintained by Admissions. Feedback Form