Skip to content

Where to find more information on:

If your student is still in High School
Dual Enrollment
Tech Prep
UA College Savings Plan
UA Scholars
UA Scholar Leadership Award

Visiting Campus
Schedule a Tour

Map of Juneau Campus
Map of: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Parking - Free on all UAS campuses!
Transportation: Air | Ferry
Trip Planner: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Newspapers: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka

Academic Calendar
Admissions Deadlines:
        Fall - August 1
        Spring - December 15
        Summer - May 1
Housing Deadlines: July 1
UA Scholarship Deadlines: Feb 15
FAFSA Deadline: none

Your Child's Educational Privacy
FERPA regulations
FERPA Release Form

Costs & Payment Options
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Financial Aid
Financial Aid FAQ's
Financial Aid Checklist
FAFSA - UAS FAFSA school code: 001065
Payment Options

Housing Options
On Campus Housing
Residence Life Guide
Off Campus Housing

Health & Safety
UAS Health Services: Juneau
Campus Security & Fire Safety
UAS Crime Statistics

Emergencies please call 9-1-1
Police Departments: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka
Hospitals: Juneau | Ketchikan | Sitka

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents & Guardians

1. Where should my child send their documents, test scores and official transcripts?

For all UAS programs, please mail documents and transcripts to:

University of Alaska Southeast
Office of Admissions
11120 Glacier Hwy
Juneau, AK 99801

2. I am an alum of UA, can my child receive resident tuition?

Yes, dependent children of a person who holds an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree from any of the University of Alaska campuses is eligible for resident tuition.

3. How does my child qualify for WUE tuition?

To qualify for WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) tuition rates, the student must be a resident in one of the following states:

  • Arizona;
  • California;
  • Colorado;
  • Hawaii;
  • Idaho;
  • Montana;
  • Nevada;
  • New Mexico;
  • North Dakota;
  • Oregon;
  • South Dakota;
  • Utah;
  • Washington;
  • Wyoming.

Please note that not all programs are eligible for WUE tuition. Students must attach a written statement to their application for admission requesting to be admitted under the WUE program.

Students declared as WUE students are not eligible for resident tuition rates.

Contact the Office of Admissions for more details at (907) 796-6100 or email

4. How does my child apply for financial aid?

The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and visit our financial aid Web site at or call the UAS financial aid office at (907) 796-6255 for more information and scholarship deadlines.

UAS participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Student Loan, and Federal Work-Study programs in addition to state loan, and grant programs. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Some scholarships, however, are based on academic potential and performance.

The deadline for merit-based UAS scholarships is February 15th.

To apply for need-based programs, students should contact the Financial Aid office.

5. Do I have to do my taxes before my child completes the FAFSA?

No, however it is recommended. You can provide your child with last year's tax information or an estimate of your tax information, however you will be required to provide current tax information in order for your child's FAFSA to be complete.

6. How does my child apply for UAS scholarships?

To begin the process for UAS scholarship, there are two portions, the first is through UAOnline and the second is through the UAS Financial Aid website. Please visit the Financial Aid website for step by step instructions.

If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 or toll free at 1-877-465-4827 ext. 6255.

7. Does my child need to take placement tests?

Only students who have no previous college level mathematics or English credits need to take the placement tests.

Placement tests are available on all three campuses, and by distance as well.

For more information on the placement tests, visit the Learning & Testing Center website.

8. My child is not in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka, how can they take placement tests?

Prospective UA students wishing to take a placement test in a location other than their campus of enrollment need to find a proctor (not a family member or friend) in their area and then follow the procedure for setting up a remote placement test according to the campus they plan on attending. Follow the link for campus of enrollment:

10. What is my child's Student ID number?

Once your child's application for admission is processed, they will be given a student ID number that will enable them to access UAOnline where they can check on the status of their application, as well as apply for UA Scholarships.

Students do not have to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

11. How do I pay for my child's tuition?

You can pay for your child's tuition over the phone by contacting Student Accounts at 907-796-6267. Please have your student's information ready.

12. How do I sign my child up for Orientation?

UAS Offers both a Fall and Spring Orientation program on the Juneau and Ketchikan Campuses. Orientation is required for all new degree seeking students who are registered for 12 credits or more.

We encourage student's to sign themselves up for Orientation. Often times if parents sign their child up for Orientation, the child is not aware of it,  the child submits one also, or the form does not have complete information listed.

You can always remind your child to sign up for Orientation, or complete the sign up together, which can be done online.

13. Is there a parent Orientation?

There is a parent Orientation offered during the Fall Orientation on the Juneau Campus.

14. How can I check my child's grades?

Students can view their grades after the semester is over in UAOnline.

Students do not have to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

Content maintained by Admissions.