Want to earn money, gain skills, demonstrate your abilities and work ethic, explore your interests and augment your academic program without leaving campus? Apply for a student assistant position. You will work under supervisors who support student academic success, and learn time management techniques to help you balance your course work with a job.
Quick Facts on Applying for On-Campus Student Jobs
- Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits in the current semester. For summer and holiday employment, students must be enrolled in the previous or upcoming semester.
- Students must maintain no less than a 2.0 GPA. (Some jobs require higher GPAs)
- Students may work up to 20 hours per week while in school and up to 40 hours per week during academic breaks. Students can hold more than one position if the total hours do not exceed these limits.
- Students will need to provide an original Social Security Card and one other type of photo identification (such as current driver's license or passport, or a current student ID).
- Special documentation is required for international students. Contact the Office of Academic Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator Marsha Squires, at 907-796-6455.
Tips on How to Apply for On-Campus Student Jobs
On-campus jobs: UAKJobs
Off-Campus Jobs - Websites
Employers with continuing recruitment:
- Fred Meyer - select "Hourly Store Job Opportunities, " "Apply Now," and type in zip code: 99801.
- Home Depot - select "Search for Opportunities," "In-store Hourly," and type in zip code: 99801.
- Walmart - select "Apply Now," then follow the steps to register.
- AlaskaUSA Credit Union - Applicants can either browse for jobs using the Jobs by Location section or apply for jobs using the Online Job Application section.To apply for a job, applicants will need to click on Apply Online under Online Job Application. They will then Create A New User Account and click submit. After creating a brief profile they will be able to apply for positions with Alaska USA.
- GCI - search by keyword and/or location.
National Jobs Posting websites:
- www.indeed.com - BEST job search engine
- www.simplyhired.com - connects with your LinkedIn contacts
- www.linkedin.com - professional networking site that also posts jobs. Used extensively in the lower 48
Biology/Marine Biology websites:
- Future Alaskans in Fisheries and Marine Sciences
- Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Job Board
- University of Washington Environmental and Biology Jobs Listing
Current positions available:
- North Pacific Groundfish Observers
- Fisheries Observer Program:
- Alaska Marine Mammal Observer:
- Prince William Sound Aquaculture Corporation – Open Positions:
- Fisheries Biologist:
5 or more years of experience is PREFERRED but not required.
- Fisheries Biologist:
- Fisheries Technician (seasonal)
- Research Assistant (seasonal), Seattle, WA
State/City specific websites:
- ALEXsys - Alaska's Department of Labor job posting site. Requires you to create a profile in order to view complete job postings. Once your account is created, the site allows you to search for Juneau specific openings.
- City and Borough of Juneau - Job postings updated frequently. Requires completion of CBJ Employment Application.
- USAJobs - Government job listings, including Fish and Game, US Forest Service, and all federal job recruitments.
- Workplace Alaska - State of Alaska job posting site. Click on "View Others," "Location," and "Juneau.
Websites for Minorities and Veterans:
|Accountant||Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation||Bachelor Degree||Open until filled|
|Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeping Assistant||Baxter Bruce and Sullivan - Attorneys at Law||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Alaska Conservation Camp - Camp Director, Assistant Director, and Counselor||Alaska Conservation Camp - Department of Fish and Game||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Assistant Bookkeeper||Chatham Electric||Minimum 1 year of accounting courses or experience||Open until filled|
|Budget Analyst||Genwest/NOAA||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Concessionaire/Box Office, Glacier Cinemas||Glacier Cinemas||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Cooks and Waitstaff||Samovar's Cafe||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Custodian (part-time, evening)||Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska (CCTHITA)||Open to all students||May 17, 2013|
|Customer Service||Play it Again Sports||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Delivery Driver - part-time or full-time||Office Plus||Clean driving record; able to pass background check and drug testing||Open until filled|
|Delivery Drivers||YTB Office Support Services||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Demonstrators at Costco||Warehouse Demo Services||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|English Teacher - South Korea||People Recruit||Bachelor Degree||Open until filled|
|Enrollment and Match Specialist - PT||Big Brothers Big Sisters||Bachelor Degree completed by June 2013||Open until filled|
|Fisheries Biologist||Association of Village Council Presidents||Bachelor Degree||Open until filled|
|Front Office/Dispatch||Coastal Helicopters||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Girl Scout Camp Positions - Juneau||Girl Scouts||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Girl Scout Camp Positions - Rural Southeast Alaska||Girl Scouts||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Home maintenance, light carpentry - flexible schedule, part-time||Private homeowner||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Individual Support Specialist||Hope Community Resource||See Job Posting Document||Open until filled|
|Individual Support Specialists and Home Alliance Coordinators||Hope Community Resource||See web links||Open until filled|
|Kayak Guide & Rental Instructor||Glacier Bay Sea Kayaks||Experienced sea kayaker, CPR, current driver's license||Open until filled|
|Landscape Route Manager||Local landscape business||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Landscape Workers||Local landscape business||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Manager, Glacier Cinemas||Glacier Cinemas||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Marine Biologist/Ecologist||OceansWatch||Bachelor's degree in Marine Biology or Environmental Science with field experience||Open until filled|
|Match Support Specialist||Big Brothers Big Sisters||Bachelor Degree completed by June 2013||Open until filled|
|Mt. Roberts Tramway - Multiple Positions, Seasonal||Goldbelt/Mt. Roberts Tramway||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|On-Call Positions - Administrative, Substitute Teachers, Laborer & Maintenance||Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska (CCTHITA)||Open to all students||Open continuously|
|Part Time Coast Guard Reserve Positions||United States Coast Guard||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Peace Corps Volunteer||Peace Corps||Juniors and Seniors, 2013-2014||Priority given to applications received by May 30, 2013|
|Quality Control Technician - Construction||Secon||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Recreation Front Desk Attendant||University of Alaska Southeast - Juneau||Open to all students||May 19th, 2013|
|Research Assistant - Fisheries||University of Washington School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences||See Job Posting for details||Open until filled|
|Research Technician, LaConner, WA||Swinomish Tribal Community||See Job Posting for details||First review on May 10. Open until filled|
|Residential Case Manager I or II||Juneau Alliance for Mental Health Inc. (JAMHI)||See Job Posting Document||Open until filled|
|Sales, Inventory, and Cashiers||Home Depot||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Sales Clerk||Duck Creek Market||Must be 21 yrs. old||Open until filled|
|Sales Executive - Fairbanks, AK||Siemens||Associate degree or 1-2 years vocational technical training. B.S. or B.A. preferred||Open until filled|
|School of Management Office Assistant||University of Alaska Southeast - Juneau||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Seasonal Positions - Multiple||Glacier Gardens||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Seasonal Positions - Multiple||Wings Airways and The Taku Lodge||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Student Office Assistant||University of Alaska Southeast - Juneau||Open to all students||May 13, 2013 for priority screening|
|Summer Jobs - multiple positions||Yellowstone National Park - Xanterra Parks and Resorts||See web link||Accepting applications now for summer employment|
|Summer Tour Guide||DIPAC||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Systems Specialist 1 - Building Automation||Siemens||Associate degree or 1-2 years vocational technical training. B.S. or B.A. preferred||Open until filled|
|Team Leader||Hope Community Resource||See Job Posting Document||Open until filled|
|Teller and Personal Banker||Wells Fargo||Open to all students||Open until filled|
|Tour Guide||Glacier Gardens||Must be 18 years of age||Open until filled|
|Training Coordinator||FAST Enterprises||Bachelor Degree in Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience||Open until filled|