In recognition of the importance of citizen involvement in the planning and implementation of higher education programs and services for the state of Alaska, the Board of Regents hereby establishes Campus Councils for the University of Alaska Southeast. These councils, advisory in nature, shall offer guidance to each local educational unit and serve as a link for its public constituencies to the Board of Regents.
The chancellor shall appoint no fewer than 7 and no more than 15 persons to serve on a council in Juneau and in each community or region where a university campus is located. Council membership should be broadly representative of the constituencies served by the campus.
Council members shall serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary travel expenses in accordance with Policy and Regulation.
Membership on Campus Council
Membership on Campus Councils shall be determined as follows:
- Council members shall be residents of the campus service area. To assure vital community interests are considered, members from the following categories are recommended:
- Local Government
- School District
- State Government
- Federal Government
- Chamber of Commerce
- Native Corporations
Council members appointed from one of the organizations specified in category #1 may serve until leaving the organization.
Local members of the Alaska Legislature, the president of the UAS Alumni Association and former regents of the University of Alaska may serve as ex officio members unless appointed to a designated or at-large seat.
- Council members shall be appointed for terms not to exceed four years. Terms of membership will be staggered to provide overlap of incumbent and new members, and members shall be eligible to serve a maximum of three consecutive terms.
- All terms of appointment shall expire on June 30.
- At least three months prior to the expiration date of an appointment, the Campus Council shall solicit nominations for new members.
- The Campus Council will review the nominations and forward a list of nominees through the chief administrative officer to the chancellor at least 30 days prior to the effective date of the new appointment. Appointments will be made by the chancellor. Vacancies occurring during a term shall be filled in a similar manner and replacements shall complete the unexpired portion of the term. The Campus Council may make recommendations concerning membership.
Powers, Duties, and Responsibilities of Campus Councils
The powers, duties, and responsibilities of each Campus Council shall be as follows:
- Advocate the interests of the campus.
- Participate in the recruitment, and selection, of the respective local campus chief administrative officer.
- Review the development of new program proposals, proposals to change existing programs, and proposals to eliminate programs.
- Participate in the development of campus and university mission statements, master and annual plans.
- Review of the proposed annual capital and operating budget requests before their submission.
- Review and recommend, through appropriate administrative channels, changes in Policy and Regulation.
- Submit reports from time-to-time to the Board of Regents on the activities and needs of the campus.
- Assist the chief administrative officer of the campus in the identification and development of private and public sources of revenue.
- Recommend members to serve on the Campus Council.
- Suggest ways to involve the university with the community.
- Encourage community participation and support in the development of university activities.
- Other duties at the request of the Chancellor.
Juneau Campus Advisory Council
Mr. Walter Majoros, Executive Director, Juneau Youth Services, Inc.
Dr. Susan Alexander, Program Manager, Land and Watershed Management, US Forest Service
Ms. Mary Becker, Liaison, City and Borough of Juneau Assembly
Ms. Pamela Day, Human Resources Consultant, Alaska State Department of Personnel
Ms. Nancy DeCherney, Executive Director, Juneau Arts & Humanities Council
Mr. Glenn Gelbrich, Superintendent, Juneau School District
Ms. Rosemary Hagevig, AARP Alaska
Mr. Steve Hamilton, General Manager, Westmark Baranof Hotel
Mr. Bill Legere, President and General Manager, KTOO
Ms. Karen Taug, Goldbelt, Inc., Controller, Southeast Regional Health Consortium
Mr. Mike Satre, Government and Community Relations Manager, Hecla-Greens Creek Mining Company
Mr. Dante Reyes, Elgee Rehfeld, Mertz, LLC
Dr. Destiny Sargeant, Juneau School District Board
Mr. Sander Schijvens, CEO, Wostmann & Associates
Mr. Jim Strader, Director, Community Relations & Marketing, Bartlett Hospital
Captain Scott Bornemann, US Coast Guard
Former Regent Gordon Evans, ex officio
UA Regent Dale Anderson, ex officio
UA Regent Kenneth Fisher, ex officio
USUAS President Jarmyn Kramlich, ex officio
UASAA President Ms. Barbara Burnett, ex officio
Chancellor John R. Pugh, ex officio
The Council meets each month September through May in the UAS Egan Classroom Wing Glaceir View Room.
Our next meeting will be September 8, 2014
Ketchikan Campus Advisory Council
Keith Anderson, Ketchikan Ministerial Association
Bess Clark, Community Connections
Susan Bethel, Big Dog Realty
Camille Booth, Ketchikan Indian Community
Christa Bruce-Kotrc, Educational Coordinator, Southeast Alaska Area Health Education Center
Bobbie McCreary, Consultant
Agnes Moran, Ketchikan Gateway Borough
Doug Ward, Alaska Ship & Drydock
Jim Van Horn, Ketchikan Gateway Borough
Bob Boyle, Ex Officio, Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District, Ex Officio
Jack Jackson, US Coast Guard
Priscilla Schulte, Ketchikan Campus, Ex Officio
Provost Rick Caulfield, Ex Officio
Chancellor John R. Pugh, Ex Officio
The next meeting will be September 11, 2014, at noon, in Paul Building, Room 516.
Sitka Campus Advisory Council
Keith Perkins, USDA-Rural Development Southeast Area Manager
Cindy Baldwin-Kitka, SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
Lillian Nielsen Young, Shee Atika Inc.
Bonnie Richards, Sikta Job Center, (Retired)
Fran Schwuchow, Employment Security Specialist, Alaska Employment Services
Garry White, Sitka Economic Development Association
Aaron Wilkinson, Manager, First National Bank Alaska
Steve Bradshaw, Superintendent, Sitka Schools, ex officio
Randy Hawk, Superintendent, MEHS, ex officio
John Stein, ex officio
Commander Edward Sandlin, USCG, ex officio
Campus Director Jeff Johnston, ex officio
Chancellor John R. Pugh, ex officio
Sitka Campus Advisory Council meetings are held once a semester
Meetings are held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in room 219.