Letter to Faculty
Covid-19 Office Operations
Our offices are available for phone or video appointments. Email or call for more information.
For more information, please see:
University of Alaska Southeast
Disability Services (DSS)
Dear UAS Faculty,
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that institutions of higher learning provide appropriate and reasonable academic accommodations to students who have a disability.
Accommodations do not guarantee academic success, as success for any student is the result of effort and ability. Our mission is to assure that reasonable efforts are made to ensure equal access to full participation in higher learning.
- Students must self identify to the DSS office as having a disability and are required to provide supporting documentation.
- The student provides a Faculty Notification Letter from DSS to the instructors of their classes. The letter lists the accommodations that have been chosen for the student, based on an individualized assessment.
- The contents of the Faculty Notification Letter and the identification of a student as having a disability are to be held in strict confidentiality by faculty unless they have written permission from the student to discuss or disclose this information. DSS has written permission to discuss implementation issues regarding the accommodations with Faculty. However, DSS may not discuss the nature of the disability and any other confidential information without permission from the student.
- Faculty members are expected to implement only the accommodations specified and that apply to their class.
- No accommodations will be sought which significantly alter the course of study, compromise academic integrity, or create an unreasonable burden on faculty.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions, concerns or need clarification about Disability Support Services. My office is located in the Student Resource Center. My phone number is 796-6465 and my email address is email@example.com.
Margie Thomson, LCSW
Coordinator of Counseling and Disability Services
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
UAS is committed to providing accessible websites: www.uas.alaska.edu/policies/accessibility.html