Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

1. What is a disability?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 provide protection against discrimination based on a disability. According to Section 504, "No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States … shall, solely by the reason of …disability, be denied the benefits of, be excluded from participation in, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” The ADA states a "person with a disability” is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, learning, breathing, and working. Physical or mental impairments include, for example, learning disabilities, emotional or mental illness, blindness and visual impairments, deafness and hearing impairments, mobility impairments and some chronic illness"

2. Who do I contact about my disability?

Contact the Disability Services office. Please set up an appointment with your Coordinator, to discuss all questions and concerns regarding disability.

Juneau CampusSitka CampusKetchikan Campus
(907) 796-6000(907) 747-7707(907) 228-4508




3. Where is Disability Services (DS) located?

Disability Services in Juneau is located at the Student Resource Center in the Mourant building, across from Activities and Housing. For the contacts in Ketchikan and Sitka please see the FAQ above.

4. Who is eligible for services from Disability Services?

Students who experience all types of disabilities are eligible for support services. Students must obtain or provide recent supporting documentation of the disability to receive services.

5. What type of documentation is needed to receive services?

Current diagnostic and evaluative reports by a trained professional are the types of documentation needed. Documentation should be current; however, discretion may be used in accepting documentation of conditions which are permanent or non-varying (eg; a sensory disability). For more information on documentation needed for specific disabilities, click here.

6. Are my records confidential?

All evaluations, test results and medical records are confidential and are used for the sole purpose of determining eligibility for accommodations. The nature of the disability or temporary disabling condition is not released to any other party except with the written consent of the student.

7. Will the services provided by the UAS Disability Services office cost me anything?

No. The Disability Services office provides service to qualified UAS students with disabilities free of charge.

8. What type of services and accommodations are available through Disability Services?

There are a variety of services and accommodations available to UAS students through the Disability Services office. The DS Coordinator at UAS, will work with the student to find the most suitable accommodations for each individual. Examples of accommodations include: testing accommodations, note-taking and scribing assistance and alternate format books. A complete list of available services and accommodations can be found by clicking here.

9. When should I tell the University that I have a disability? Do I have to?

Students are able to contact the Disability Services at any time during their academic career at UAS to request reasonable accommodations. However, the sooner Disability Services is notified the sooner they can begin preparing reasonable accommodations and services. High school students with disabilities transitioning to post-secondary education may want to contact DS after receiving admission acceptance and/or registering for classes. It is your decision whether or not to inform the University of your disability. However, Disability Services highly encourages any students with disabilities to contact the DS office and strives to provide a safe, confidential, and welcoming environment in which to discuss disability concerns. Contact with the Disability Services office is the first step towards receiving any type of support services or accommodations.

10. What should I bring to my first appointment?

When you come to your first appointment with the DS Coordinator you will need to bring all supporting documentation and any questions you have about services or accommodations.

11. Can I bring a family member, or support person when I visit Disability Services.

Students are welcome to bring a family member or support person during their visits with Disability Services. However, at University of Alaska Southeast we highly encourage students to self-advocate for themselves. More information on self-advocacy can be found in the General Information section of our website or by clicking here.

12. Can accommodations be provided without written documentation?

Yes, accommodations can be provided on a temporary basis when the disability is clearly evident and with the approval of the DS Coordinator.

13. Can faculty and staff see my documentation?

The details of your specific disability are private and confidential. Only the student can give permission for this information to be made available to faculty or staff.

Content maintained by Disability Services. Feedback Form