Master of Arts in Teaching Program - Elementary & Teaching Certificate
Deadline: All application and portfolio materials must be received by July 1st for the Fall Semester, November 1st for the Spring Semester and April 1st for the Summer Semester in order to receive Financial Aid in a timely manner.
Please return all items to the the Admissions office as instructed below.
Step 1: Consult with Katy Spangler (Program Coordinator)
Step 2: Send application documents to Admissions
UAS - Admissions
11120 Glacier Hwy
Juneau, AK 99801
1-866-465-6424 toll free
or for questions, email the program assistant:
- Graduate application for admission (MAT program)
- Admission fee of $60.
- Background Check (.doc)
- Official transcript with evidence of baccalaureate degree awarded, GPA 3.0
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form
Letter of Recommendation form (.doc)
- Information Release Waiver Statement (.doc)
- Admission Writing Sample of two parts: Instructions (pdf)
- Letter of Support from Local School District: Memorandum of Agreement (.doc) *Not required for Anchorage School District
- Documentation of Successful Work with Children: Letter from Dean Lo (.pdf)and Early Classroom Experience (.pdf)
- Praxis I exam results (.doc)-see note #3 (Register @ ETS). Praxis scores must be sent to UAS (code R4897) and the Department of Education & Early Development (code R7027).
- Student Information Sheet
- Applicant faxes or mails unofficial transcripts to advisor
- Advisor completes transcript analysis
- Applicant and advisor discuss individual’s program
Step 3: Complete program prerequisites
- GPA of 3.0 for Credential and MAT programs from undergraduate transcript. (If your GPA is below 3.0, you can be admitted conditionally.)
- Prerequisite coursework as recommended by advisor
- ED 230 or competency is prerequisite for Elementary Credential Program
- You may apply for admission to the MAT and Credential Programs at the same time. You pay $60 admission fee once if you apply at the same time and only have to submit one copy of your admissions paperwork.
- Admission status notices are mailed out by the School of Education.
- Conditional admission status may be granted. Conditions must be completed within one semester of admission.
- You may not take practicum methods courses (ED 615, ED 616, ED 617, ED 618, ED 619, and ED 661) until you are admitted and have completed ED 230 and ED 333. All other courses are open to students prior to full admission.
- You must TAKE the Praxis I test for admission. If you do not pass all sections of the test, you may retake it. You must PASS the Praxis I prior to recommendation for certification. Praxis I is offered in two formats; paper based, 10710 (reading), 20720 (writing), and 10790 (math) or computerized (limited areas in Alaska).
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA in these programs. You must receive a grade of "C" or better in each course for it to count. A "C-" grade will not be counted as “passing.”