The Graduate Certificate in Educational Technology develops the skills and abilities to design and create effective instructional experiences in a digital age environment. The program is delivered in a 100% online asynchronous format so that participants may complete the degree requirements while working full time. Graduates of this program are prepared to lead transformational change in educational environments. Emphasis is placed on creating high quality technology-enhanced teaching and training environments by developing characteristics of:
- Visionary Leadership
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Digital-age Learning Environments
- Professional Development and Program Development
- Digital Citizenship
Endorsement in Distance Teaching and E-Learning
In order to help meet Alaska’s K-12 schools need for teachers who are proficient in distance delivery and E-learning, the University of Alaska Southeast’s School of Education offers a program and coursework leading to an endorsement in Distance Teaching and E-Learning. We provide opportunities for educators to develop advanced competencies in designing, delivering and managing effective online instruction for virtual school contexts. The proposal is for an 18 credit program leading to advanced knowledge and skills that will help educators meet Alaska’s demand for distance delivered e-learning options.
- 6 credits (maximum) of professional development credits directly related to content, instructional design or educational technology. Professional development courses must be approved by the UAS faculty advisor and Dean of the School of Education to be counted toward the endorsement. Appropriate courses would include content area courses and technology courses.
- EDET 628 Technology in Instructional Design (3 credits) – The focus of this course is to build on basic computing skills and their use within current educational practice of meaningful integration of technology into the classroom environment. Students will create a standards-based instruction unit modeling appropriate uses of technology to support learning, develop a variety of techniques to use technology to assess student learning of subject matter, and research best practices related to applying appropriate technology resources to enable and empower learners with diverse backgrounds, characteristics and abilities.
- EDET 637 Differentiating Instruction Through Technology (3 credits) – Focuses on the use of technology as a tool to gauge and facilitate the needs and interests of diverse learners in the classroom.
- EDET 674 Virtual Teaching and Learning (3 credits) – Design and implementation of effective online environments and the integration of digital technology into classroom and professional practice. Students will develop their content knowledge in digital technologies for online communication and professional development. They will organize and manage digital information, prepare and conduct lessons for online consumption, and evaluate the effectiveness of these lessons. Prerequisite: EDET 628 or instructor permission.
- EDET 694 Practicum in Virtual Teaching and Learning (3 credits)
Graduate Certificate Educational Technology
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable admission fee
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching certificate if you wish an endorsement
- Two general recommendations using SOE form
- Statement of Professional Objectives
- Official transcript(s) showing a baccalaureate degree and GPA of 3.00
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||21|
|ED||S636||Impact of Technology on Student Learning||3|
|EDET||S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDET||S637||Differentiating Instruction through Technology||3|
|EDET||S673||Ethics in Educational Technology||3|
|EDET||S674||Virtual Teaching and Learning||3|
|EDET||S677||Mechanical Applications of Technology||3|
|EDET||S679||Gamification and Open Learning||3|
- Satisfactory completion of courses
- Faculty Evaluation
- GPA of 3.00
Applying to the Graduate Certificate Program
By completing the UAS Graduate Certificate in ED Technology, you qualify for the UAS Institutional Recommendation to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development's Endorsement in Educational Technology. You may apply for this program at any point in your coursework, but you must apply before applying to EED for your endorsement.
Important Note: The admission application form is online but all other materials should be mailed to: University of Alaska Southeast Attention: Admissions 11120 Glacier Highway Juneau, AK 99801
- A completed graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are NOT REQUIRED to be submitted.
- Two (2) general recommendations written by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance. Each recommendation must be submitted using the letter of Recommendation for Graduate Programs form.
- Statement of Professional Objectives. This is a 2-3 page typewritten and double spaced formal paper containing:
- a summary of educational experiences,
- a description of professional goals related to what is needed to teach students in Alaska and beyond,
- evidence of advanced understanding of technology operations and concepts, and
- a statement of how the program for advanced teaching candidates might help in attaining those goals. (An advanced teaching candidate is someone who is currently teaching, has taught, has experience in education, or has a teaching credential and access to a classroom for field experience.)
- This statement will be judged in terms of readability and style as well as compatibility of the student's objectives and expectations and the goals of the program
- If you are a teacher and wish to receive an Educational Technology endorsement once you have completed the graduate certificate, a copy of your current teaching certificate should be provided at admission.
If you have any questions about the application process please feel free to contact Elisabeth Genaux, Student Services Administrative Assistant for the School of Education.