The Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist Program prepares graduates to become reading specialists for children in kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Program candidates will apply reading theory and research, learn new methodologies, and develop collaborative leadership skills. Candidates attend to the Alaska Content Standards and federal mandates while recognizing and addressing how individual students may vary in achieving standardized goals. Candidates increase their abilities to teach fluent reading skills and comprehension strategies, assess reading difficulties, and develop student engagement in reading. They also share practical insights and current research with colleagues, including paraprofessionals.
Candidates who complete the required courses for the Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist may request an institutional recommendation and apply to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development for a reading specialist endorsement to their current certificate.
The Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist program is completely e-Learning delivered, with the exception of one summer, three-week course. All e-Learning courses use computer or audio-conference instruction.
Feel free to browse and share the brochure for this program.
Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate
Admission to the Reading Certificate program requires the same application materials as the M.Ed. in Reading Specialist. If the Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate application is submitted with the M.Ed. application, the $60 application fee will be charged only once.
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable application fee
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching or administrative certificate
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Writing assessment: 2-3 page typewritten, double-spaced formal paper containing a summary of your educational experiences, a description of professional goals related to what is needed to teach Alaska’s students and those beyond and a statement of how the program might help in attaining those goals. This statement will be judged in terms of readability and style as well as compatibility of the student’s objectives, expectations and goals of the program.
- Statement of ability to do field experience on SOE form
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||24|
|EDRE||S671||Language, Culture & Literacy||3|
|EDRE||S674||Developing Reading, ECE-12||3|
|EDRE||S675||Reading and Cognition||3|
|EDRE||S676||Reading Instruction & Assessment I||3|
|EDRE||S677||Reading Instruction & Assessment II||3|
|EDRE||S678||Literature & Reading: Supporting Readers at All Levels||3|
|EDRE||S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDRE||S696||Teacher as Leader||3|
- GPA of 3.00
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
The deadline for applications is April 30th. Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- A completed graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are NOT REQUIRED to be submitted.
- Two letters of recommendation (on the SOE recommendation form)
- Writing assessment
A 2-3 page typewritten, double-spaced formal paper containing a summary of your educational experiences, a description of professional goals related to what is needed to teach Alaska's students and those beyond and a statement of how the program might help in attaining those goals. This statement will be judged in terms of readability and style as well as compatibility of the student's objectives, expectations and goals of the program.
- Statement of ability to do field experience (pdf)
- A copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
Send all of these items to:
University of Alaska Southeast
11120 Glacier Highway
Juneau, AK 99801