Secondary Teacher Certification
Please note: This program is only available to individuals residing within the state of Alaska.
The Graduate Certificate program for Middle Grades and Secondary Education (grades 6-12) is a 12-month program for students who are seeking certification in secondary and middle grades education. Applicants to this program should have an undergraduate degree in a subject normally taught in Alaska secondary schools (e.g. English, social studies, mathematics, sciences, art, music). Contact Scott Christian for more information. A total of 24 graduate credits are required. To be considered in the first round for the upcoming program, candidates must submit all application materials by May 1st. A secondary review of applicants will be completed in an ongoing manner based on available space in the program.
This graduate certificate program is designed for teacher candidates who have already earned master’s degree or have experience teaching. It requires a full time, year-long internship in an Alaskan middle school or secondary school. The requirements are spelled out on the application tab.
The graduate certificate program features:
- Strong development of pedagogical content knowledge.
- A demanding, engaging graduate-level program.
- A year-long intensive reflective/research-based classroom experience.
- A clinical model where teachers learn to teach through teaching with timely feedback and evaluation.
- Participation in a dynamic learning community with student teachers across the state.
We take pride in being a small, high-quality program, providing more close, personal attention and support for each student. We believe in strong connections between campus learning and internship training. For optimal learning in this intense, high quality program, outside responsibilities should be limited.
MAT Secondary 2016-2017 Handbook
Degree Requirements (24 graduate credits)
Summer: (3 weeks, On Campus in Juneau)
ALST s600 Alaska Resources, People, and Perspectives 3cr
ED s680 Advanced Multicultural Education 3cr
ED s620 Curriculum Development 3cr
ED s691 Teaching Internship I 3cr
ED s692 Educational Seminar I 3cr
ED s691 Teaching Internship II 3cr
Ed s692 Educational Seminar II 3cr
EDSE s682 Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities 3cr
A Master’s Portfolio that provides evidence that the student meets all program goals/outcomes
Successful completion of all courses with a minimum 3.00 GPA
Praxis I and II are required for admission.
Graduate Certificate Program - Secondary Education
One year intensive; Juneau, Anchorage, Sitka, Ketchikan, Fairbanks or other Alaskan communities.
Deadline: To be considered in the first round for the upcoming cohort, candidates must submit all application materials by May 1. A secondary review of applicants will be completed in an ongoing manner based on available space in the program.
ANCHORAGE SCHOOL DISTRICT: Placement in the ASD involves a number of steps. There is a registration process for student teaching placements with ASD that takes place in early February. Student teachers must complete this registration process prior to the deadline in order to be placed in ASD in the fall. Please let us know TODAY of your intention to intern in the ASD so we can work with you to facilitate the process.
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials or the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
(Scroll down the page to find the additional requirement for Graduate Certificate applications.)
- A completed graduate application with $60 processing fee; (Note: Admission status notices are mailed out by the School of Education. Provisional admission status may be granted. Provisions must be completed within time specified at admission. For information about the online application visit UAS Admissions);
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0;
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges attended. These will be used for assessment of applicant's content preparation;
- Two recommendation forms addressing Academic Content and Dispositions;
- Student Information Sheet;
- Information Release Waiver Statement;
- Current Resume;
- An admissions writing assessment consisting of a Statement of Professional Objectives. Please refer to this Student Self-Evaluation sheet and the Writing Sample Guidelines;
- Passing Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators) exam results are required to be fully admitted to the program. Register online atETS. Test scores must be sent directly to UAS.
- (Note: You must pass the Praxis CASE test prior to admission. If you do not pass all sections of the test, you may retake it.)
- Passing Praxis II content area exam results are required before you can be admitted to the program. You should select the Praxis II exam most closely aligned with your undergraduate degree. Click here for a list of current Praxis II content area exams and register online at ETS. If you have questions about which Praxis II exam to take, please contact Scott Christian.
- (Note: You will not be admitted to the program unless UAS receives passing Praxis II scores; you may retake it if you do not pass. )
- A transcript evaluation form must be completed by students seeking certification in Math, English, Social Studies, History, General Science, or a Single Subject in Science. Students should select the transcript evaluation form for the content area aligned with their undergraduate degree and Praxis II exam (if there are content deficiencies, the student will be advised to defer enrollment). There are detailed directions for completion included in the form. All questions regarding this requirement should be directed to Scott Christian.
- This form is not required for students seeking certification in other content areas.
- An interview with UAS faculty will be scheduled by the program coordinator when students have completed all other requirements. Interviews may take place in person or through web conference; all questions regarding this requirement should be directed to Scott Christian.
IMPORTANT: Here is the process for completing the Student Teaching Authorization application.
- After you have completed the online graduate application and submitted passing Praxis CASE/Core scores and official transcripts to UAS, you will need to prepare your required fingerprint card and obtain page 7 of the STA application with a signature from the UAS Dean of Education.
- To obtain page 7 of the STA application, fill out this form. If you have any questions please contact Delores Graver. (Note, the Dean will not sign until after the three items from the first step have been submitted.)
- Once you receive page 7 in the mail with the Dean's signature, fill out the remainder of the Student Teaching Authorization application and mail the complete application (STA application, fingerprint card, and $60 fee) to EED.
- See page one of the Student Teaching Authorization application for acceptable forms of payment and EED's mailing address. Personal checks are not accepted.
In addition to the above requirements, candidates seeking the graduate certificate must submit documentation to verify at least one of the following criteria:
1. A completed master's degree in a relevant field. (Content area discipline or education.)
2. Documented teaching experience. *
3. Coursework in education from an approved teacher preparation program.
4. Current Alaska Type A certification in elementary or special education.
5. Current certified position, or job offer from Alaskan school district. (Verification required.)
*In order to meet the criteria for teaching experience, applicants must provide documentation (evaluations, employment verification, lesson plans etc.) from a teaching position in a private school, an outdoor or experiential education program or an international school. Substitute teaching or early childhood experience does not apply. The documentation should demonstrate that the applicant planned for instruction, facilitated learning and completed all duties related to the teaching assignment.
Send all application forms and information to:
Attn: Deema Ferguson
For questions about application materials contact: