Endorsement in K-8 Education
The K-8 Endorsement is designed for teachers who possess a current Alaska teaching certificate and wish to earn an endorsement for elementary and middle school (K-8) teaching. All of the courses are offered by eLearning throughout Alaska. The teacher’s transcripts and experience will be evaluated and an appropriate program of studies will be prepared. The Endorsement will include courses or course equivalency for the content and methodology of K-8 instruction.
Preparatory Coursework (6 Cr):
|ED 230||3||Introduction to Educational Technology||All|
|ED 320A, C or D||1||Art, Music or Drama in the K-8 curriculum||All|
|ED 320 B||1||PE in K-8 curriculum||All|
|ED 320 E||1||Health in the K-8 Curriculum|
Endorsement Area Coursework:
|ALST 603||3||Alaska Literature for Young People||Fall; Spring|
|ECE 661||3||Literacy and Young Children||Fall; Spring|
|ED 615||3||Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades||Fall; Spring|
|ED 616||3||Math Methods in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 617||3||Science Methods in the k-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 618||3||Social Studies in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 619||3||Classroom Managment and Discipline||Fall, Spring|
|ED 621A||1||Curriculum Development||Fall; Spring|
|ED 621B||1||Curriculum Development||Fall; Spring|
|ED 621C||1||Curriculum Development||Fall; Spring|
|EDSE 482||3||Inclusive Classroom for all Children||All|
|ED 688||3-6||Student Teaching||Fall; Spring|
Advisors maintain the responsibility to make substitutions and to waive classes as necessary and reasonable with the Dean’s signature as approval.
Applying to the K-8 Education Endorsement Area
- Admission checklist (.doc)
- Request for Admission (.doc)
- Official Bachelor's Degree Transcript
- Required GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Copy of Current Alaska Teaching Certificate (Includes passing Praxis I or Praxis Core (ASE) Tests: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics; and Certificate requirements for Alaska Studies and Multicultural Education).
- Letters of Recommendation and SOE forms (.doc) from two professionals in education
- Statement of Professional Goals and Objectives
- Resume demonstrating successful teaching
- Praxis I or Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators) scores
- Information Release Waiver Statement (.doc)
- Current Teaching Assignment
Please send all admission documents via email to the School of Education Student Services Assistant.
By Mail to:
Student Services Assistant
UAS, School of Education
11120 Glacier Hwy, HB 202
Juneau, Alaska 99801
If you have any Endorsement Area specific questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Katy Spangler, Coordinator for the K-8 Endorsement Area.