Special Education, M.A.T.
The M.A.T. in Special Education program prepares teacher candidates to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. This program is designed for candidates who do not currently have a teaching certificate. The program focuses on the unique needs of: (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska’s remote, rural, and urban communities. The M.A.T. in Special Education program is designed to accommodate working professionals. Courses are offered in the evenings and in the summer, and all courses are offered online and/or via audio-conference. This e-learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their home communities while completing their graduate studies.
This program is currently only available to candidates who live in Alaska.
Please refer to the academic catalog for a complete list of course requirements.
Master of Arts in Teaching Program - Special Education
Step 1: Consult with Jill Burkert (Program Coordinator).
Step 2: Send application materials to Admissions.
Attn: Deema Ferguson
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials or the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- Graduate application for admission (MAT program);
- Admission fee of $60;
- Official transcript with evidence of baccalaureate degree awarded, GPA 3.0;
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Two Letters of Recommendation with SOE forms;
- Admission Writing Sample of two parts: Instructions;
- Passing Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators) exam results -see note #3 (Register @ ETS);
- Background Check;
- Complete and mail the form with a check or money order to the Bureau of Criminal Records and Identification (mailing address listed on the form).
- Applicant faxes or mails unofficial transcripts to advisor.
- Advisor completes transcript analysis.
- Applicant and advisor discuss individual’s program.
Step 3: Complete program prerequisites.
- GPA of 3.0 from undergraduate transcript. (If your GPA is below 3.0, you may be admitted provisionally.)
- Prerequisite coursework as recommended by advisor.
- Admission status notices are sent out by the School of Education.
- Provisional admission status may be granted. Provisions must be completed within one semester of admission.
- You must TAKE the Praxis CASE test for admission. If you do not pass all sections of the test, you may retake it. You must PASS the Praxis CASE prior to full admission and prior to placement in any school practicum.
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA in this program. You must receive a grade of "C" or better in each course for it to count. A "C-" grade will not be counted as passing.