Mathematics Elementary Education
The Mathematics Elementary Education Master's program at the University of Alaska
Southeast provides the opportunity for teachers to become leaders in the field of
Mathematics Education through distance education.
This program is designed for K-8 teachers who are seeking to strengthen their
understanding of the mathematics they are teaching and preparing for their students
Our Math Courses Feature
- Standards-based learning
- Content and pedagogy for elementary teachers
- Emphasis on non-traditional, hands-on methods and approaches
- Capstone research project focuses on classroom experiences
|Dr. Virgil G. Fredenberg|
11120 Glacier Highway, HA1
Juneau, AK 99801
|Contact when you have questions about:|
11120 Glacier Highway, HA1
Juneau, AK 99801
Contact when you have questions about:
The M.Ed. in Mathematics Education is designed to provide content and pedagogy appropriate for the teaching of mathematics with options for increasing the teacher’s understanding of content area literacy, the inclusion of students with special needs, and utilizing technology to teach mathematics. The mathematics content is designed to strengthen understanding of the mathematics taught in the K-8 curriculum. Candidates must prepare an exit portfolio, demonstrating competency in the nine outcomes of the School of Education (i.e., philosophy, development, diversity, content, student learning, learning environment, professionalism, technology). The M.Ed. Mathematics Education program is not an initial teacher certification program. For an initial teaching certificate see Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education programs, or Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Students wanting a K-5 or K-8 Mathematics Education teaching endorsement will be eligible upon completion of the requirements for the specific Certificate Program.
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable application fee
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Two general recommendations written on UAS provided form by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance and submitted on form located on School of Education website
- Statement of Professional Objectives
- Copy of a current teaching or administrative certificate
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||36|
|EDET||S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDET||S636||The Impact of Technology on Student Learning||3|
|EDET||S668||Educational Technology Leadership||3|
|EDMA||S608||Mathematical Problem Solving: An Overview for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S614||Numeration and Operations: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S654||Algebra and Functions: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S655||Geometry and Measurement: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S656||Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S657||Concepts of Calculus and Trigonometry: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S658||Technology for Teaching and Learning Mathematics||3|
|* Graduate level advisor-approved elective with an emphasis on pedagogy|
Applying to the Master's Program
Important Note: Mail the following items to: University of Alaska Southeast Attention Admissions, 11120 Glacier Highway, Juneau, AK 99801.
- A completed graduate applicationand $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are NOT REQUIRED to be submitted.
- Two (2) recommendations written by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance. Each recommendation must be submitted using the School of Education Letter of Recommendation Form.
- A Statement of Professional Objectives per these instructions.
- A copy of a current teaching or administrative certificate.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Elisabeth Genaux, Student Services Assistant
If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to contact Virgil Fredenberg, Coordinator of the Mathematics Elementary Education Program.