Special Education, M.Ed.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education program prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska's diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska's remote and rural communities.
The M.Ed. in Special Education program is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraeducators and other school-based professionals who currently have an initial teaching certificate. Courses are offered in the afternoons, evenings, and in the summer. All courses are delivered via audio conference and augmented with online resources. This e-Learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska's remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies.
Special Education, M.Ed.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska’s remote and rural communities.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school-based professionals. Courses are, therefore, offered in the afternoons and evenings and in the summer and all courses are offered online and/or via audio conference. This e-Learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies.
- A completed graduate application and $60 non-refundable application fee
- An official academic transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Copy of current teaching certificate or admission to SOE teaching program
- Two letters of recommendation on SOE form
- Writing sample (1-2 page typed essay, double spaced). Describe your professional goals and explain why you want to be a special education teacher and/or work with individuals with disabilities. Describe your commitment to diversity in school and classroom settings.
Additional information and links to forms on the School of Education website.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||33|
|EDSE||S482||Inclusive Classrooms for All Children||3|
|EDSE||S605||Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|EDSE||S610||Assessing of Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S612||Curriculum & Strategies: Low Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S622||Curriculum & Strategies: High Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S677||Language & Literacy: Assessment and Intervention||3|
|EDSE||S685||Transition Considerations for Secondary Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S692||Special Education Seminar||3|
|EDSE||S694||Special Education Practicum||3|
|EDSE||S695||Professional and Ethical Practice||3|
|EDSE||S698||Master’s Research Project||3|
Select one from the following (3 credits):
|ECE||S661||Literacy and Young Children||3|
|ED||S603||Alaska Literature for Young People||3|
|ED||S615||Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades||3|
|EDET||S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDMA||S608||Mathematical Problem Solving: An Overview for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDRE||S678||Literature and Reading: Supporting Readers||3|
|EDRE||S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDSE||S609||Classroom Management & Child Guidance in Early Childhood||3|
|____||S___||Approved Instructor Elective||3|
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
- GPA of 3.00 or higher
- An approved Master’s Research Project
The following items are necessary for a complete application to the Masters of Education in Special Education
- A complete Graduate Application and $60 application fee.
- Official transcript showing bachelor's degree with a 3.0 GPA.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
- Two letters of recommendation with SOE forms (.doc).
- Admission Writing Sample of two parts: Instructions.
Send all admission documents to:University of Alaska Southeast Admissions11120 Glacier HighwayJuneau, AK 99801
You can also fax or email all but the official transcript to 907-796-6365 or email@example.com
For admission related questions, please contact:Elisabeth Genaux-Student Services Assistant907firstname.lastname@example.org
Or for Program related questions, please contact:Jill Burkert, Ph.D. -Program Coordinator907email@example.com