Scholarships and Grants
Funding resources for your Study Away experience.
Scholarship and Grant Information
Many students are interested in studying away yet few have the needed funds right at their finger tips. This is where the knowledge of scholarships and grants become increasingly valuable. Unlike loans that you will have to pay back, scholarships, grants, and fellowships are fully funded by the sponsor and don't require you to pay them back. Applying for such financial aid sources is a process that can ease your financial woes. It is highly recommended that you work with the UAS Financial Aid office to to plan for and create a realistic budget for studying away.
Though scholarships may be offered directly through the university's Financial Aid office, they may also be found through a funded or private source such as a local business, organization, or church. Your host university or the administrative program may also offer financial support. Corporate sponsors may offer additional services, products and discounts for travel, phone cards, guidebooks and more. Check out these resources below:
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Gilman Scholarship
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Fulbright Scholarship Programs
- ISEP (Annette Kade Scholarship for Study in France, Switzerland or Germany only)
- Institute of International Education
- Boren Awards
- GO Abroad (a variety of different scholarships)
- Bridging Scholarships (for study in Japan)
Program or Location Specific Scholarships
Students participating in international study abroad programs are encouraged to research program specific scholarship opportunities. Scholarships can be merit or need-based and can range from $250 to $3000. Application deadlines are noted on each web site.
- Semester at Sea
- Massey University Scholarship
- UAS Student Government has two $1000 scholarships per semester available (Deadline is usually April 1 for fall and November 1 for spring)
You may attain a study abroad grant through applying directly to Grants.gov, or by checking with the Financial Aid office to see what grants are offered here. Student travel grants are awarded to full-time undergraduate or graduate students to help pay for transportation, food, and lodging.