Skip to content

UAS Enrollment Checklist

To ensure you start your academic journey at UAS on the right foot, make sure to complete all of your enrollment steps:

  • Apply for admission - online
    • Pay the application fee
    • Send in any required documents and official copies of all transcripts and test scores
  • Set up payment plans for tuition, fees, books, housing etc.
  • Arrange for housing (out of town, Juneau campus students only) with UAS Housing
  • Take placement tests (undergrad students with no college level mathematics or English). Available on campus or by distance!
  • Meet with your academic advisor to select your classes and get registered. Not sure who your advisor is? Call 907-796-6000 or toll free at 1-877-465-4827.
  • Activate your UAS user account and edit your profile to access your UAS email and class sites.
  • Purchase your books for classes at MBS.
  • Attend Orientation.
  • Go to class!

Enrollment Questions and Answers:

1. Where do I send my documents, test scores and official transcripts?

For all UAS programs, please mail documents and transcripts to:

University of Alaska Southeast
Admissions Office
11120 Glacier Hwy
Juneau, AK 99801

2. How do I qualify for in-state tuition?

To qualify for in-state residency rates, you must be physically present in Alaska for two years prior to the published first day of instruction for the semester in which you apply and declare the intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely.

Others eligible for resident tuition include, active duty military, their spouses and dependents, residents of Sister Cities as approved by the Board of Regents.

A dependent child (one who is unmarried, younger than age 24, and financially dependent on his/her parent or guardian) will be considered a resident if he or she has a parent or guardian that qualifies as an Alaska resident as defined above.

Dependent children of alumni who have received an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree from the University of Alaska also qualify for resident tuition.

Contact the Office of Admissions for more details at (907) 796-6100 or email

3. How do I qualify for WUE tuition?

To qualify for WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) tuition rates, you must be a resident in one of the following states:

  • Arizona;
  • California;
  • Colorado;
  • Hawaii;
  • Idaho;
  • Montana;
  • Nevada;
  • New Mexico;
  • North Dakota;
  • Oregon;
  • South Dakota;
  • Utah;
  • Washington;
  • Wyoming.

Please note that not all programs are eligible for WUE tuition. You must attach a written statement to your application for admission requesting to be admitted under the WUE program.

Students declared as WUE students are not eligible for resident tuition rates.

Contact the Office of Admissions for more details at (907) 796-6100 or email

4. How do I apply for financial aid?

The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and visit our financial aid Web site at or call the UAS financial aid office at (907) 796-6255 for more information and scholarship deadlines.

UAS participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Student Loan, and Federal Work-Study programs in addition to state loan, and grant programs. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Some scholarships, however, are based on academic potential and performance.

The deadline for merit-based UAS scholarships is February 15th.

To apply for need-based programs, students should contact the Financial Aid office.

5. How do I apply for UAS scholarships?

To begin the process for your UAS scholarship, there are two portions, the first is through UAOnline and the second is through the UAS Financial Aid website. Here are the steps:

Part One:

  1. Go to UAOnline. Please note that the UAOnline portion of the scholarship application is required and you can not be qualified for any scholarships if you have not completed it.
  2. Click on Login to Secured Area
  3. Your User ID will be your student ID number
  4. Your PIN default is auto-generated and is mailed to you, unless you have changed it
  5. Click Login
  6. Click on Student Services, Financial Aid & Account Information
  7. Click on Scholarships
  8. Follow the steps listed to complete the UAOnline portion of the scholarship application

Part Two:

  1. Go to the Financial Aid Scholarship page and complete the form.
If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 or toll free at 1-877-465-4827 ext. 6255.

6. Do I need to take placement tests?

Only students who have no previous college level mathematics or English credits need to take the placement tests.

Placement tests are available on all three campuses, and by distance as well.

For more information on the placement tests, visit the Learning & Testing Center website.

7. I am not in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka, how do I take placement tests?

Prospective UA students wishing to take a placement test in a location other than their campus of enrollment need to find a proctor in their area and then follow the procedure for setting up a remote placement test according to the campus they plan on attending. Follow the link for campus of enrollment:

8. How do I know who my advisor is?

Once you are admitted you will receive a certificate of admission, which will list your academic advisor.

You can also call the Student Resource Center and they can look up the information for you. You can reach the SRC at 907-796-6000 or toll free at 877-465-4827.

9. I am not in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka, how do I meet with my advisor?

Students not physically present in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka can make phone appointments to meet with their advisors. Advisors can also make skype appointments, or even correspond through email.

10. What is my Student ID number?

Once your application for admission is processed, you will be given a student ID number that will enable you to access UAOnline where you can check on the status of you application, as well as apply for UA Scholarships.

Your student ID number is an eight-digit number that you should have received in the mail. If you have not received your ID number yet, you can look it up using ELMO.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6100.

Content maintained by Admissions.