At times you or technicians will want to update all of the core software on your campus computer. During this process, your data will be archived and all files on the system will be removed. A new configuration will be deployed to the computer.
Please make an appointment to have your computer rebuilt. The Computer Rebuild Checksheet describes the steps necessary for both you and the technical staff to complete the process successfully.
Periodic updates of your campus computer will be distributed by I.T. Services.
Routine Updates through Windows update server (details on the Microsoft website)
- Microsoft updates the Windows operating system monthly
- Mark Thompson (Infrastructure Manager, 796-6579) reviews the updates and determines which will be applied to campus systems
- The updates are distributed by a UAS update server to campus systems in the background and are typically applied on a restart
- We recommend restarting every computer weekly.
Scheduled Updates through Symantec Ghost (affectionately known as Casper)
- These will be announced prior to distributing
- Updates will typically be applied overnight, while your computer is powered on and on campus. Please log out of your computer prior to leaving for the night on a scheduled update.
- If your computer is not powered on during a scheduled update, beginning the following day you will be prompted to perform the update yourself. This prompt will appear as a small icon in your system tray. Please click the icon, select the update from the list and follow the prompts. (Show Me)
Please contact the Helpdesk immediately if you have concerns about the update process.