The quiz creation tool can be accessed by clicking on the Quiz Library tab on the Assignments home page. Clicking on the tab reveals the library or list of quizzes that have been created for the course as seen below.
Creating a New Quiz
To Create a new quiz, Click on the Add New Quiz button to open the Quiz Settings dialog box shown below. Follow the instructions in this dialog box and then click on Make Changes.
Enter a title for the quiz in the Quiz Title text box the enter any instructions or additional information required to complete the quiz in the text box labeled "Optional text to display before the quiz". You may format the text or add images using HTML. Click on the Make Changes button to continue with the quiz creation process.
Clicking on the Make Changes Button opens up the extended quiz settings menu as seen below.
Using this menu the following options may be set.
1. The Description section allows you to edit the name and optional text to be displayed before the quiz. Optional text can be used to provide deadline dates or time restrictions.
2. The General Settings section allows you to control whether or not the student will see the correct answers at the time the quiz is submitted. You may also choose to allow the student to take the quiz multiple times.
After taking an exam the students may review the results at any time by clicking on the link for the exam in the assignments section.
If you have chosen to show the correct answers with the quiz results, the correct answers will be shown in bold
If you do not want to display the correct answers until all students have completed the quiz or until after the deadline for completing the quiz, follow the steps below.
A. First, configure the general settings with all set to "No" and click on the save changes button.
B. Next, Link the quiz to a gradebook item in the Grading Section by selecting the quiz title from the dropdown menu and click on the make changes button.(See item 3 below)
C. Post the quiz to the homesite when you are ready for the students to take it. When they submit the quiz they will see their grade and the questions that they missed will be indicated without the correct answers being shown.
D. After the deadline for the quiz, first go the the gradebook tab and enter a grade of zero for any student who failed to complete the quiz as required.
E. Next return to the quiz settings and change the "Display correct answers with quiz result" option from "No" to "Yes" and then click on the make changes button.
The students who took the quiz will now be able to click on the link for the quiz in the assignments section of the course homesite and view the correct answers for questions they missed. The students who did not take the quiz will be able to take the quiz but when they hit the submit button, they will see a message telling them that they have already received a grade for the quiz(the zero placed there by the instructor).
3. The Grading Section allows you to link the quiz to a particular grade book item. The score is automatically entered when the quiz is completed. Note: The gradebook must be set up before this option can be set. To link an item to the gradebook select it's name from the dropdown list.
4. The Access section controls who may take the exam. To allow non students take the quiz, the unrestricted option must be chosen. The other options allow the instructor to restrict the participants to the class roster, to those shown in the course class list, or to anyone with a UAS account. When a non student tries to take the quiz the guest login dialog box shown below opens. They must then enter their name and email address to gain access to the quiz. Their results can be viewed by clicking on the Report option in the quiz library section. The Optional Password can be used to further restrict access to a quiz, such as when a proctor is used or the test must be taken at a desired time.
Once you have entered the desired settings click on one of the Make Changes buttons located throughout the page to save. To begin entering questions, click on the question bank link located at the upper right hand corner of the Quiz Settings dialog box. To return to the quiz library, click on the link which is also located in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box.
Editing an Existing Quiz
For each quiz in the library list the following options are available by clicking on the links below the quiz name:
1. Post- This link posts the quiz to the assignment section of the course homesite.
2. Report- Creates a list of anyone who has taken the quiz, their answers to the questions, and their score.
3. Log- The log shows who has accessed the quiz and the time of access. In addition, the log had a submitted field that shows whether or not the quiz was submitted. The results can be sorted by user or by the time/date the quiz was submitted. An example log is shown below.
Log entries with no submission prior to completing the quiz indicate the student pulling up the quiz ahead of time. Similar entries after the student has submitted the quiz probably indicate a student reviewing their results.
4. Answer Key- Creates an onscreen list of answer to the quiz which can be printed.
5. Test- Allows the instructor to take the quiz to be sure it is working properly.
6. Clear Answers- Clears all student answers to the quiz.
7. Delete- Deletes the quiz from the quiz library.
Clicking on the quiz name opens the same extended Quiz Settings dialog box seen in the quiz creation section. Once the desired options are set, click on any of the Make Changes Buttons to continue. Click on the Question Bank link located at the upper right hand corner of the Quiz Settings dialog box to begin entering questions for the quiz.