The Blackboard Grade Center
New! Navigating the Grade Center (video)
The Blackboard Grade Center has many features and tools. Listed here are the most basic features that will enable you to get started.
Where is the Grade Center?
You'll find the Grade Center in the Control Panel (beneath the Course Menu). Click on Grade Center then Full Grade Center.
(In order for your students to see their grades you need to “show” the My Grades link in the course menu by using the drop-down menu to the right of the item “My Grades” and choosing Show Link – a course menu item is hidden from students if there is a square with a slash through it next to the menu item name.)
Columns for Items that are not in Blackboard
If you want a column for anything that is not submitted to Blackboard, then you'll just use the "Create Column" button in the upper left of the full grade center.
- Go to Control Panel > Grade Center > Full Grade Center
- Click "Create Column"
- The only two required fields are a Name and Points.
You can use a column for information purposes by choosing "Text" as the type of display. You'll need to enter zero points for this column.
Columns for Tests, Blackboard "Assignments", Graded Discussion Forums etc.
Blackboard automatically creates columns when certain types of assessments are created. These include:
- Tests (computer graded or essay)
- Assignments (tasks which include a "dropbox" for students to turn in one or more documents or files)
- Discussion Forums for which grading has been enabled
- Blogs, Wikis and other tools which have grading enabled
You can modify attributes of this column (change categories, include or exclude from calculations, hide or show to students etc.) You can also create columns for any activity which is not submitted online.
In the Column header, click on the drop-down menu to the right of the Column name and choose "Edit Column Information".
Organizing your Columns
- At the top of the Full Grade Center move your cursor over the Manage menu and choose "Column Organization"
- To the left of every entry is a double-headed arrow. Drag these to change the order of your columns
- Click Submit to save your changes
WARNING - "Column Organization" also lets you hide Columns. This will hide it only from you not your students. To hide columns from Students you must use the drop-down menu to the right of the column name in the Full Grade Center and choose "Show/Hide to Users". If a column is hidden from students you will still see it but there will a circle with red slash next to the column name. Make sure that you see this before hiding the column from yourself.
Create Categories in the Full Grade Center by choosing Manage and then Categories. Tests, Assignments, and Discussions are automatically placed in those categories but you can move them to different categories.
Detailed Instructions: Creating and Managing Categories (pdf)
Changing Category for a Column
There are two ways to change the Category of a Column.
- In the Full Grade Center, click on the drop-down menu next to the Column name and Choose Edit Column Information
- Go to Manage and Column Organization. Check the box next to columns you wish to change then scroll to the top and choose change Category To".
Creating a Weighted Total
You can create/edit the Weighted Total column to reflect the grading scheme in your syllabus. You can weight by category, by item, or a combination. In each category you can select to drop lowest grades etc.
Detailed Instructions: Creating a Weighted Total (pdf)