To apply for the Program, students must be enrolled in a University of Alaska system degree program during their internship experience, and must be enrolled in classes at the time of application. In addition, while participating in the Program, students must be of at least junior standing, must have taken at least three credits of Government (GOVT) or Political Science (PS) in the prior five years, and must not have held a paid position with the legislature during the prior two years.
To begin the application process, applicants should provide the following material to their campus internship coordinator:
- A one to two page cover letter describing (a) the reason for the candidate’s interest in the Program (b) how the Internship fits into the candidate’s degree program, and (c) the candidate’s qualifications as a potential intern
- A résumé or CV
- A complete set of undergraduate transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Two sealed letters of recommendation from professors, instructors, or others in a supervisory position describing the candidates’ qualities with respect to the internship program
- A five to fifteen page writing sample
- Internship FERPA Release
- Photo Release (optional but strongly recommended)
Please communicate with your campus internship coordinator regarding the way in which they prefer application materials to be submitted. Be aware that you are responsible for confirming receipt of your application materials. Application materials are due by 11:59PM, October 15, Alaska time. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please contact your campus coordinator if you have further questions.