BECOME A MARINE OILER IN 12 WEEKS
SEE THE WORLD, EARN HIGH DOLLARS
The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi-Skilled Worker program is a series of courses that leads to the U.S. Coast Guard marine oiler credential: “Qualified Member of the Engine Department with Oiler and Fireman/Water Tender endorsements.”
- Scholarships are available for this program
- The program runs for 12 weeks every fall semester.
- Classes are intense: running Monday – Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm
- Classes have a lot of hands-on training time along with technical knowledge
- You learn the basics of
- Diesel mechanics maintenance & repair
- Hydraulics maintenance & repair
- Refrigeration maintenance & repair
- Marine electrical maintenance & repair
- Rigging heavy equipment
- These courses relate to other industrial jobs in ship building, heavy machinery, construction, physical plant operations and welding
- UAS Ketchikan partners with the Alaska Marine Highway System and other employers to find sea time internships for all students interested
The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi Skilled Worker program is a United States Coast Guard approved class. This approval has significant advantages for seafarers seeking to upgrade their skills and credentials and for those seeking entry into the maritime field.
Successful completion of the program allows a reduction in required sea service days from 180 to 120. Upon presentation of the required sea time at the Regional Exam Center, the USCG will issue the QMED/Oiler rating credential without any further testing.
Orientation and Safety
Internal Combustion Engines
Pumps and Valves
Basic Fire Fighting
First Aid /CPR/AED
Personal Safety & Social Responsibility