Students are responsible for meeting all requirements for graduation and should meet regularly with their academic advisor to review degree status and anticipated graduation date.
Application for Graduation
1. A student must be admitted to the degree program from which they wish to graduate at least one semester prior to applying for graduation. If you plan on changing your major or degree, you need to submit a Change of Major/Degree (PDF | 48KB), BEFORE applying for graduation.
2. Once a student has clarified admissions status, he or she must formally submit the application for graduation and the processing fee to the Student Records and Registration office. Application deadlines are:
- Fall Graduation – October 1
- Spring Graduation – February 1
- Summer Graduation – July 1
Students who miss the application for graduation deadline may still request consideration for graduation by submitting the graduation application with an additional $25 late application fee by the following dates:
- October 31: for Fall graduation
- March 14: for Spring graduation
- July 19: for Summer graduation
3. Students graduating with a minor in a four-year degree program, must declare the minor at the time of graduation. Minors will not be awarded after a degree is posted to the transcript. The Registrar will not award a minor without a formal request in writing on the application for graduation.
NOTE: If program requirements are not completed the semester for which the student has applied for graduation, the Registrar will roll the application for up to one year. However, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Registrar when completion is expected.
Diplomas and Commencement
Diplomas will indicate if the student graduated with honors. Commencement ceremonies are only held once a year, in May. Students who complete degree requirements during the academic year are invited to participate in the May ceremony. The Ketchikan campus welcomes graduates from any University of Alaska campus to walk in our ceremonies. Graduates from the University of Alaska Anchorage or the University of Alaska Fairbanks must notify the Student Resource Center on the Ketchikan campus of their desire to participate in our ceremonies by February 1. All graduates who have indicated a desire to participate in the Ketchikan campus commencement ceremonies will be sent detailed information following the February 1 application deadline.