HIM S102 Introduction to Health Information Management II
3 credits (2+2)
An overview of health care systems and the health information management profession. Introduces revenue management and reimbursement. Explores compliance in relation to regulatory, coding, fraud surveillance, and clinical documentation improvement. Introduces leadership roles, change management, work design and process improvement, human resource management, training and development, strategic and organizational management, financial management, ethics, project management, vendor management and enterprise information management.
Prerequisite: Admission to the program.
This online course is for students admitted into the Health Information Management program, and follows S101 in sequence.
- Explain revenue cycle and reimbursement methodologies
- Explain regulatory compliance in health care
- Explain regulations and guidelines in clinical classification systems
- Identify potential abuse and fraudulent trends in health care
- Identify clinical documentation improvement systems
- Summarize leadership roles
- Recognize change management processes on people and systems
- Identify work design and process improvement
- Explain human resource management in health care
- Explain training and development
- Summarize strategic and organizational management
- Explain financial management in health care
- Comply with ethical standards of practice
- Summarize project management methodologies
- Explain vendor/contract management
- Apply enterprise information management