HIM S155 Coding I (Outpatient)
3 credits (3+2)
Introduction to outpatient coding diagnoses and procedures, sequencing, coding conventions, and software. Overview of fraud and abuse regulations as they pertain to coding and billing. Focus on HCPCS/CPT, ICD, ambulatory care coding including coding guidelines and sequencing.
Prerequisite: BIOL S 111, HIM S 135 and admission to the HIM program or departmental permission.
This online course is for students admitted into the Health Information Management program.
Generally, this course is offered during Fall semester only.
- Apply diagnosis and procedure codes according to current guidelines
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural coding
- Explain diagnostic and procedural groupings
- Explain the accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings
- Explain current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems
- Apply computer assisted coding to coding scenarios
- Identify discrepancies between supporting documentation and coded data
- Explain physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies
- Comply with ethical standards of practice