HIM S255 Coding II (Inpatient)
3 credits (3+2)
Introduction to inpatient coding diagnoses and procedures, sequencing, coding conventions, and software. Overview of fraud and abuse regulations as they pertain to coding and billing. Introduction to reimbursement methodologies related to inpatient coding. Focus on HCPCS/CPT, ICD, inpatient coding including coding guidelines and conventions.
Prerequisite: BIOL S 111, BIOL S 112, HIM S 135
This online course is for students admitted into the Health Information Management program.
Generally, this course is offered during Fall semester only.
- Apply diagnosis and procedure codes according to current guidelines
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural coding
- Explain diagnostic and procedural groupings
- Explain the accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings
- Examine current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems
- Analyze computer assisted coding to coding scenarios
- Analyze discrepancies between supporting documentation and coded data
- Verify physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies
- Comply with ethical standards of practice