The Student Government Association (SGA) provides UAS Sitka students with representation and support, as well as leadership and organizational skills training to students who become involved as officers and representatives. SGA has five officer positions up for election every spring, and the SGA Constitution also allows for an unlimited number of Student Representatives. Students must take one credit or more at UAS Sitka to become a member of this organization.
The practical benefits of membership include gaining professional experience with running meetings, working with budgets, advertising, and organizing events. Other benefits include meeting new people and making a difference for UAS Sitka and its students.
The SGA at Sitka is particularly interested in the concerns of our many e-Learning students. If you have ideas about how SGA could address an issue relevant to e-Learning students, or if you have ideas for online events for e-Learning students, please send them to one of our members.
SGA Meetings: every Wednesday from 6:30-7:30pm (except during holidays, closures, and summer) Join in these weekly meetings, and encourage your classmates to let their voices be heard! On Campus Students can attend in Room 110 at the Sitka Campus. E-Learning Students can attend by attending the Elluminate web meeting.
- New Merchandise - SGA has ordered new t-shirts and sweatshirts to sell! If you wish to purchase UAS Sitka Campus merchandise, please contact SGA at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Distance Graduation - SGA President Sharon Carter is working hard to organize a distance graduation for UAS distance students. The distance graduation will be in Anchorage at UAA.
- Facebook - UAS SGA has a Facebook Page! It’s an easy way keep up-to-date on SGA activities. “Like” us today.
- ACCUPLACER For High School Students - SGA is currently encouraging more high school students to take the ACCUPLACER test; doing so will assist them to place into higher math classes.
- Private Pilot Knowledge Exam - For our ground school students here at UAS, we are working toward establishing the university as a FAA certified testing center, so that once the ground school course is completed, you will be able to test for your private pilot license!
- UAS-MEHS-SHS Collaboration - SGA is hoping to improve relations between the neighboring high schools, and to collaborate in a way that betters the community.
- First MEHS Officers - SGA is pleased to introduce its two Mt. Edgecumbe High School student officers, Samuel Clark and Shannon Jimmie.
The UAS Sitka Art Club is open to all UAS students (both distance and on-campus); it promotes the appreciation and practice of the visual arts, both on our campus and within the community. We are determined to unify the artistic energy and resources at UAS, in order to enrich university life with extracurricular artistic ventures.
As the only visual arts group at UAS, The Art Club educates and engages the UAS community through art related activities such as guest speakers, museum trips, monthly art-making events and lectures, and community service. Each year the club organizes fund-raisers to assist in defraying the cost of art activities.
The Art Club strives to:
- Encourage appreciation of the visual arts among UAS students, faculty, and the community at large
- Provide an outlet for work, and exposure in the visual arts among students and the UAS community
- Expand learning activities among its members by club activities
- Provide a forum for dialogue of art-interested students and faculty at UAS
If you are interested in participating in the Art Club, please contact Liz Zacher at 907-747-7710 or email@example.com. Students can also join the Art Club through SGA. If you have any questions about SGA at UAS Sitka, or if you would like more information, please contact us.