Starting Your e-Learning Class
The place to go for information about your class is the course site on UAS Online.
How much this site will be used depends on what type of course you have
signed up for (local, web-based, audioconference, ... ) and on your
instructors preferences. For e-Learning courses in particular, however,
UAS Online is generally the place you should go for initial course
Once you have registered you should also access your UAS email account, update your UAS Online profile, and continue to check the UAS online course site for updated course information. The following steps will help you get started.
If you have trouble with any of these steps you can contact the Sitka Academic Advising Office.
Set up your username and password
- Go to ELMO
- Find your username and set your password
- Choose Option 3: Search for my account” and follow the prompts.
- If you have trouble call the Juneau Helpdesk: 1-877-465-6400 or 907-796-6400
Go to UAS Online, update your profile and find your classes.
- Use your username and password to login to UAS Online (login is in the upper right)
- After you login one of two things will happen:
- If this is the first time you are logging in, you will be presented with the opportunity to update your profile. At the very least you should update the email address in your profile. If you change the email address in your UAS Online profile, it will set a forwarding address for your UAS email account so that UAS email will be forwarded to your preferred email address. Other information in your profile is optional and you can come back and make changes later, so scroll down and continue.
- If you have been to UAS Online before you will see your profile on the left and a list of your classes on the right. Update your email address in your profile by clicking on the “Edit Profile” link at the top of the Profile box.
- Follow the link(s) to your classes – read the syllabus and note the required textbooks and requirements for taking the class. If you have questions, contact the instructor.
Order your books. Getting started on time is crucial for success in
your e-Learning classes, so don't wait; order your books now.
Check with your instructor before you buy used books or use another vendor besides MBS. Some books come as bundles with other class materials or come with registration codes for websites. Buying used books or books from other vendors could end up being more expensive and could cause you to get a late start.
For Sitka campus classes (section numbers T01, T02, TD1, TD2 etc)
- If you have financial aid, call 1-800-478-6653 or (907) 747-7700 to find out if UAS can order your books for you.
- If you are buying your own books, go to MBSDirect Books to order online, or call 1-800-325-3252.
- If you order books from any other source then check that the ISBN number is the same (this should be in the course syllabus). If in doubt, contact your instructor to make sure you are buying the right book or bundle.
If you are taking courses from other campuses then contact that campus to find out how to order your books.
Access your UAS email account
- As noted above, if you change the email in your UAS Online profile then your UAS email will be forwarded to that account.
- To access UAS email directly – go to http://mail.uas.alaska.edu (Note that there is no “www” in the address.)
- Your username and password will be the same ones you use for UAS Online.
Make sure your computer will work for your class. Many classes require special software; check the course website to find out what you need. The links below are all free downloads from reliable websites. Some of these sites may offer free toolbars or other software; you will only need the basic program, not the extras. Uncheck the boxes for any optional features you do not want. These links are provided for your convenience only. UAS Sitka is not responsible for the content or support of these free software downloads
- Elluminate Live--If your class has web meetings using Elluminate (also called Webmeeting)
- Go to www.elluminate.com/support. The site will help you check to make sure you have the software you need and let you go to a sample web meeting to try out your microphone and speakers. (We recommend using a headset with a microphone. If you are planning to take a lot of classes, a comfortable headset might be a good investment.)
- Visit the UAS Elluminate Support page http://www.uas.alaska.edu/idc/elluminate_info/elluminate_gettingstarted.html where you’ll find a link to a more detailed Prep Guide and UAS Configuration Room.
- Mozilla Firefox--Many of the programs at UAS may work better if you use Firefox as your Internet browser. To download Firefox go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/.
- Acrobat Reader--Many UAS instructors will send you files in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files. Go to www.adobe.com to get Acrobat Reader.
- Microsoft Office Viewers--Most computers already have Microsoft Office, but if you don't, you may need to download these viewers so that you can access course materials. Word Viewer. PowerPoint Viewer.
- RealPlayer--For some classes you may be downloading and viewing videos using RealPlayer. Go to http://www.real.com/.
- If you haven’t already done so, email your instructor. They will appreciate the contact. Ask any questions you have about the course. The contact information is on UAS Online.
- If you have any problems or questions about getting started in your e-Learning course you can also contact the Sitka Campus Student Support Center at 1-800-478-6653.
Other Useful LinksOur instructional services staff will send you information about your class. If you have any questions or problems call 1-800-478-6653 and our instructional services staff will make sure you get the help you need. The Instructional Services office also coordinates the proctoring of exams.
- UAS Helpdesk--Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-465-6400--If you have problems getting your username and password or getting your computer set up for your class, the help desk is a good resource.
- UAS Online--You can can get to your course website by going to UAS Online.
- UAF Blackboard--Many UAS Sitka classes use UAF Blackboard. You can get to Blackboard through MYUA or by going to http://classes.uaf.edu/.
- E-Learning Student Orientation--This online orientation program is designed both for e-Learning students to ease the transition into e-Learning, as well as for new students.