The University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) Master of Public Administration (MPA) program is available to students in Alaska and the Yukon Territory. Although the program is delivered online, the Alaska specific content and the synchronous courses offered during the Alaska Standard Time zone makes the program less appropriate for students in the contiguous US.
Admission to the MPA degree requires successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline. Prospective students will not be penalized for low GPAs. The Admissions Committee reviews the complete application packet submitted by the student to determine admission status. Work experience demonstrated on a resume and statement of professional objectives is taken into consideration. Standardized tests, such as the GRE or GMAT are not requirements for admission to the UAS MPA degree program.
The UAS MPA program allows students to take up to two courses before applying to the program to ensure the degree applies to the student’s future plans. Admission to the program must be completed prior to registering for the third course in the degree program. Students are advised to take PADM 601 Introduction to Public Administration as one of first two classes in the degree. PADM 601 Introduction to Public Administration provides a general overview of the core courses offered in the degree as well as an introduction to the technology and electronic library that is used throughout the program.
"The UAS MPA program has been an incredible investment in my career. The coursework is rigorous, engaging, and highly relevant to the issues that real organizations are facing. If you’re on the fence about going back to school, sign up for one class and see what you think. For me, it was absolutely worth the effort." - Sara Lawson, UAS MPA Graduate
Registering for Courses
Prospective students are required to meet with the MPA Director for academic advising prior to applying and registering for courses. Please complete the Request for Information form to receive more information and to schedule an appointment with the MPA Director.
With the Director’s approval, you will be cleared to register for courses online at UA Online. Online registration will require a UA Student ID #. To obtain a UA Student ID #, if you do not already have one, first apply as a "non-degree seeking" student through UAOnline (choose: Apply for Admission). Once you have finished your full online application, an instruction page will appear - explaining how to login to UAOnline immediately. After 48 hours, a student ID number will be generated and you will then login using that number. If you prefer, complete the Course Registration Form, scan and email to email@example.com or fax to (877) 465-6549 Attn. MPA Program.
You may register for classes up to several months before class begins. Tuition is not required until the semester starts. Late registration fees are assessed to those registering after the beginning of classes.
Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fees students will be responsible for will depend on the number of classes taken in a given semester. For a schedule of tuition and fees, please refer to the UAS Academic Catalog for the current academic year and reference the Fees & Expenses section. Additional information is available at UAS Financial Aid.
Tuition prices vary, based upon a student’s Resident or Non-resident status. The Resident tuition rate applies to State of Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territory residents. The Non-resident tuition rate applies to all other students. Non-residents may take up to 4 credits per semester at the resident rate; however, additional credits will cause all credits, including the first four, to be re-assessed at the non-resident rate.
"I choose UAS because it offered great distance delivered courses and a way to earn my degree and advance my career." Brian Brubaker, UAS MPA Graduate
Apply for Admission
Submit the following documents electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the School of Management, ATTN: MPA Admissions (11120 Glacier Highway Juneau, Alaska 99801).
- Online application and application fee. The online application can be found at UA Online. Click on Apply for Admission or Check on Status of Application. From there follow the links for whether you are a Current/ Prior Student or New Student.
- Official academic transcript showing the completion of a baccalaureate degree. To obtain your official academic transcript contact the university from which you were granted your degree and request that they send an official transcript to the the School of Management, ATTN: MPA Admissions (11120 Glacier Highway Juneau, Alaska 99801).
- Current professional resume or vitae
- Statement of professional objectives. The statement of professional objectives is a cohesive essay (approximately 1,000 words) describing past public and/or non-profit experiences, outlining your professional goals and stating how the MPA program will help you achieve your professional objectives. Please reference all four of the questions below in your statement.
- Please describe your academic background. Make sure that you discuss any course work that would have prepared you for Master’s level courses in Public Administration.
- Please describe any experience you may have had in public administration (including non-profit administration).
- Please explain why you want to pursue an MPA including how the degree would influence your career path.
- How did you hear about the UAS MPA program?
- Three professional or academic references. Complete the form online or download the form.