Chamber: UAS Family Friendly
Chancellor John Pugh and Staff Council President Heather Swanson accepted the award during the Juneau Chamber of Commerce luncheon on Thursday, May 1.
The Juneau Chamber of Commerce awarded UAS the 2008 Family Friendly Employer of the Year for outstanding support in creating family friendly business practices. Chancellor John Pugh and Staff Council President Heather Swanson accepted the award during the Juneau Chamber of Commerce luncheon on Thursday, May 1. The award was presented on behalf of the Partnership for Families & Children, the United Way of Southeast Alaska and the Juneau Chamber of Commerce.
Some of the highlights from the nomination form included:
- Flexible Work schedules: Job sharing; staggered or flexible hours; working from home; time off to attend parent/teacher conference or school events; bring child to workplace
- Child Care Services: Pre-tax deduction for dependent care offered; information provided about community support services; paid family resource services
- Family Friendly Workspace: Bulletin board postings; changing table in restroom; toy/book basket for visiting children
- Family Friendly Events: Family time at the Recreation Center; Community day; Multiple family friendly campus events (BBQs etc)
- Benefits Package: Part-time work benefits; paid family leave; unpaid family leave; comprehensive family insurance plan; EAP with concierge services
UAS is currently assessing the need and feasibility for on-site or near-site childcare for staff, students and faculty.