Exciting News from 2009

Outstanding Student in Natural Sciences Micaela Martinez-Bakker

I received a National Science Foundation Doctoral Fellowship and have accepted a PhD position in the Department of Ecology and Evolution with a dual enrollment in the Center for the Study of Complex Systems at the University of Michigan. In addition to the NSF fellowship, the University of Michigan Graduate school has awarded me a Merit Fellowship which guarantees 5.5 years of funding, and additional resources. The NSF and Merit fellowships will provide the resources I need to study infectious diseases in Arctic wildlife and continue in the field of Polar Biology. My other top choice was the Department of Population Biology, Ecology, and Evolution at Emory University where I was offered a National Institutes of Health 5 year training grant to work on the population genetics of ebola virus and raccoon rabies. Although it's hard to turn down working on ebola virus, I am very proud to be launching my graduate career in Arctic Biology and once again working with Dave Tallmon, and others in the Institute of the Arctic.

Another thing I am very excited about is that I will be teaching Calculus I and/or Calculus II for the 2010-2011 academic year in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Michigan. I will be the sole instructor for the course of about 25 students. It is part of my graduate requirements that I teach for one year, and seeing as how I had the best mathematics professors at UAS I am not the least bit intimidated to teach these courses. However, I do think this is a reflection of how wonderful the education is at UAS that such a recent graduate of the math department will be allowed to teach mathematics at a prestigious university.

Content maintained by Webmaster.