Arts and Sciences Retirements

Clive Thomas and Jane Terzis

Clive ThomasClive Thomas, Professor of Political Science, is leaving after more than 30 years of teaching at the University of Alaska Southeast. Thomas taught everything from Introduction to American government and political theory to Latin American politics and special interests groups. Thomas is also a prolific writer, publishing some 13 books and over 40 articles and book chapters. His most recent book Alaska Politics and Public Policy: The Dynamics of Beliefs, Institutions, Personalities and Power will be published by the University of Alaska Press in 2012.

Thomas was also instrumental in the founding and continued success of the UA Legislative Internship Program, which pairs students with Alaska State Representatives for a legislative session, giving students real-life experiences of politics and public process. More than 200 students went through this program and some went on to work for the State Legislature or even become legislators themselves. Thomas is the winner of multiple Fulbright and National Science Foundation awards and has worked as a consultant to both foreign countries and local groups.

Jane TerzisJane Terzis, Assistant Professor of Art and Humanities Department Chair is retiring after more than three decades on the UAS Juneau campus. She started at UAS in 1980 (then Juneau Douglas Community College) as an Artist-In-Residence. Her charge at the time was directing the Arts-In-The-Prisons program for the University of Alaska. This program established GED and AA degree programs in visual, literary and performing arts in all of the prisons in the state. Leaving that position in 1983, she continued on at UAS as an Adjunct Assistant Professor in Art teaching Natural Science Illustration and Upper Division Drawing classes until she was re-hired as a full-time professor of art and co-chair of the art program in 2002. “I met Jane Terzis in the spring of 2004 when I enrolled in her Intermediate Drawing class at UAS, “ writes 2011 Outstanding Graduate in Art Teri Robus. "She became my advisor when I was accepted into the new BA in Art program (2008). She was my art history professor, painting instructor, mentor; a powerful inspiration."

"I'm most pleased about the BA degree in Art that Alice Tersteeg, Jeremy Kane and I designed and implemented," said Terzis.  "Ten years ago we had two program students in the art program. At last count we had 117 program students, most are BA in Art majors".  Writes Robus, "I am not alone in saying she taught her students with great tact, honesty, humor and passion. Jane is a remarkable artist who teaches about finding truth in art. Her mark has been made on those of us who were in her classes and I for one will always be indebted to her for being a brave artist, so I can be brave too."

"This university has an amazing cadre of smart, energetic, and fun faculty and I will miss them more than words can express. I will also miss interactions with students who have taught me so much over all these years," said Terzis.

Content maintained by Webmaster.