International Education Week
The week of Nov. 14-18 is International Education Week.
This is a national initiative through the Dept. of State in conjunction with the Dept. of Education to promote awareness of culture, people and traditions in order to assist Americans to be better prepared globally.
The calendar of events are as follows:
- Sunday night the Media Club will be playing world music and discussing the activities of the week on KXLL from 5 to 7 pm.
- Mon. Nov. 14 Welcome to our World (11-2) will include hands-on activities such as a traditional clothing parade, piñata making, henna hand painting, language calligraphy, origami, a Spanish fruit market and anything else I can think of. We are looking for traditional clothing from countries around the world and models to wear the clothing.
- Tuesday Nov. 15 Loving Language (11-2) will consist of round tables with folks who sharing their love of language. Tables will consist of Russian, German, Spanish, French, and Tlingit.
- Wed. Nov. 16 Taste of Culture (11-2) is a fun day of desserts. There is a silent auction as well as a bake sale. We need cooks who want to share their favorite foreign dessert (we can buy the ingredients IF you give us the recipe by next Tuesday) and buyers! Wooch.een will also be selling fry bread that day!
- Thursday, Nov. 17 World Art Market (10:30- 3) joins art, holiday shopping and fund raising together. This is a big day! Items from Ten Thousand Villages will be on sale. Come on by! There will also be a Travelogue with Riley Leonard at noon in Egan. He will discuss his summer experience in Honduras.
- Friday, Nov. 18 Opportunities Away/Abroad in cafeteria (11-2) AND continuation of the World Art Market (10:30 to 3). Information tables will be set up for students to talk to someone about volunteering, working and interning abroad along with exchange options (national and international).
- The Friday’s cafeteria’s activities will end with a performance from Alaskapella and perhaps a dance group at 2:30/3 pm.
- Abby’s Kitchen and SAA will be hosting a (foreign) Dinner and a Movie at the Rec Center that evening at 7 pm.