2012 URECA Awards Announced
Eight students submitted proposals; 6 were selected for awards.
The School of Arts and Sciences announced the recipients of the second annual URECA (Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity) awards. They are:
- Carrie Comstock – Humpback Whale Photographic Data, $2500. Mentor: Andy Szabo and co-mentor to be named.
- Chelsie Harris – Cup Library, $2245. Mentor: Jeremy Kane
- Joel Mundy – Canvas, Large-Format Photo Show, $2190. Mentor: Ben Huff
- Julienne Pacheco – Metabolic Rates of Starry Flounder, $1400. Mentor: Carolyn Bergstrom
- Crystal Rogers – Tlingit Language Apprenticeship, $2500. Mentor: Lance Twitchell
- Izabela Thorne – Muddy Hands, Happy Heart, $1802. Mentor: Elizabeth Zacher
The URECA Awards were developed in 2011 by the UAS Research and Creative Activity Committee. The awards support the UAS Strategic and Assessment Plan by enhancing opportunities for undergraduate students to work directly with faculty on projects involving active, engaged learning, and in support of student retention and success. This funding will help students pursue a research question or creative endeavor of their own design, one that is not directly related to their coursework.
Eight students submitted proposals; 6 were selected for awards. Proposals were judged on the criteria set out in the application: eligibility, purpose, intellectual merit, likelihood of success, funding justification, and proposal quality. Students must complete their projects by December of 2012, and will be asked to present them at a symposium in the spring of 2013.
For more information on URECA and the awardees, please contact Sanjay Pyare, chair of the Research and Creative Activity Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kelly Jensen (email@example.com).
“Please join me in congratulating and supporting these students.”