UAS Celebrates Success: Meet the New Faculty

Brian Vander Naald recently joined the University of Alaska School of Arts and Sciences as an Assistant Professor of Economics.

Brian on local peak“I look forward to bringing my enthusiasm for economics into the classroom and into undergraduate research,” he said.  “When not at the university, I enjoy hanging out with my wife, Anne, as well as running, biking, swimming, hiking, and most any outdoor activity.”

“My primary areas of research are Environmental Economics and Resource Economics,” said Vander Naald. “In my latest research projects I employ both revealed and stated preference methods to identify demands for some under-studied non-market goods.”

Vander Naald’s research includes studies on consumer preferences for “humanely raised” versus “conventionally raised” chicken, the demand for improved services and improved stewardship at California state parks and the effects of the Clean Air Act on dry cleaning small businesses in California.Vander Naald’s course schedule this semester includes a class in Natural Resource Economics. Students are exploring research on natural resource issues including: Does it make sense for the Chinook salmon quota to vary from year to year?  How do we account for the value of ecosystem services provided by area glaciers?  Is the Juneau airport the best use for the plot of land on which it sits?

Content maintained by Webmaster.