The announcement marks the completion of a 28-year career at UAS that began in 1987.

Chancellor John PughUniversity of Alaska Southeast Chancellor John Pugh has announced his retirement, set for for May 29, 2015. Since August 1999 Pugh has been at the helm of the state public university with campuses in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. The announcement marks the completion of a 28-year career at UAS that began in 1987, including service as the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences and the Dean of Faculty.

“I have enjoyed being a part of a dynamic, growing institution over the years,” said Pugh.  “My public service career spans 45 years with the U.S. Air Force, the State of Alaska, and the University of Alaska. I have had the pleasure of working with many excellent administrators, professional staff, and faculty throughout my career. However, UAS Chancellor is the best position I have held. I strongly believe in the importance of higher education to the future of Alaska. It has been an honor to be a part of the building of the University of Alaska system.”

Pugh has also served on statewide and regional task forces, commissions, and boards.  “All in all, I feel that together with my dedicated colleagues I have accomplished much.”

Many significant changes have occurred under Chancellor Pugh’s leadership, including major building projects such as the Egan Classroom Wing, Recreation Facility and recently completed Freshman Residence Hall on the Juneau campus. He is most proud of the quality academic and workforce programs developed during his tenure.

In a memo to employees, Pugh thanked staff and faculty for their service and encouraged them “to stay engaged and work together with the administration to provide a smooth transition in UAS leadership.”

"John Pugh is an Alaska higher education landmark and a tireless UA leader for the Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan campuses. We will be challenged to find another chancellor with the same love for his university community of students, faculty and staff," said UA President Pat Gamble .

Gamble anticipates a successful transition to a new UAS Chancellor. He intends to travel to Juneau in the coming weeks to discuss with Pugh and members of the UAS community the next steps in finding a successor.

After his retirement in May, Pugh looks forward to visiting extended family, traveling with his wife Margaret and spending more time with their granddaughters.

The Juneau Empire published a front page article with some of Chancellor Pugh’s reflections on his many years at UAS in the Wednesday, October 29 edition.

Content maintained by Webmaster.