02-16-2015
Walz and colleagues held a seminar Friday, January 23 on the Juneau campus called “I am (not) Charlie.”

Professor of History Robin Walz is questioning how Americans should show solidarity with France in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo shootings. Walz and colleagues held a seminar Friday, January 23 on the Juneau campus called “I am (not) Charlie.” When Walz first noticed #JeSuisCharlie –or I am Charlie—trending on American social media after the shootings at the French satirical magazine, he found it somewhat misplaced. “We can sympathize and empathize or object to the events that we see going on in France and the French responses. But whatever our responses, it’s our position from here in this continent and not from within the country in which things are going on,” Walz says. Walz organized the “I am (not) Charlie” seminar with three of his colleagues: Nina Chordas, Sol Neely and Lora Vess. He put the “not” in parentheses to highlight the outside perspective, where America’s First Amendment and freedom of the press may not apply. View the story produced by KTOO News.

Content maintained by Webmaster.