Skip to content
Scroll To Top

Student Accounts

The Student Accounts Office is responsible for billing and collection of student tuition, fees and housing charges. Our office staff is dedicated to helping you meet your personal financial responsibilities by providing courteous service in regards to any questions about your student account. Please stop by, call or email us with your questions. We are located on the second floor of the Novatney Building in room 215.

Our Mission Statement

Our office is dedicated to providing quality services to the students, parents, faculty and staff, and to support the University of Alaska’s educational goals through the correct assessment of student fees, collections procedures, and receipting the University funds.

Whale Card

Whale Card

What are the Benefits?

  • It's convenient: Using your Whale Card is easier than carrying cash, checks or credit cards.
  • It's faster than cash: The Whale Card will always have exact change.
  • It's safe: If your Whale Card is lost or stolen, simply email or call (907) 796-6493, and we'll take care of the rest.
  • The Safeway store in Juneau offers a 10% discount all day on Sundays when you present your Whale Card.

What can I do with my Whale Card?

  • It's your official UAS ID
  • It's your library card (NEW! Set this up at the Egan Library)
  • It's your key access to campus buildings
  • It's your key access for residents of on-campus housing
  • It's your access to the UAS Juneau Recreation Center
  • It's a way to pay for many things around campus including dining service locations, as well as campus stores and on-campus housing laundry facilities

How can I apply for my Whale Card?

  1. Fill out the Whale Card Application Form
  2. Take the completed form to Student Accounts to receive your Whale Card

How much will it cost to get my Whale Card?

There is no cost for your initial card. However, replacing lost, stolen, or damaged cards will require a fee of $10.

Dining Dollars and Whalebucks

What's the difference between "Dining Dollars" and "Whalebucks"?

Dining Dollars are used for food purchases only at the on-campus dining facilities as well as at the campus stores. They cannot be used for non-food purchases. In addition, Dining Dollars accounts do not carry over from one term to another.

Whale Bucks can be used at any of the campus stores as well as for housing laundry facilities.

How do I add Whalebucks?

There are a few different ways to add Whalebucks to the Whale Card:

  • Through the eAccounts website
  • Through the  iOS or Android mobile app
  • By visiting the Student Accounts office
  • By using the machines located at John Pugh Hall or at the Main Housing Lodge

Please note

  • unused Whalebucks expire after 18 months
  • unused Dining Dollars expire at the end of every term, and no refunds are available
  • there will be a $10 administrative fee for Whalebucks account refunds or transferring money from a UAA Wolf or UAF PolarExpress card

2017-2018 Tuition Schedule

The 2017-2018 tuition and fee schedule runs from Fall Semester 2017 through Summer Semester 2018. Additional credits are assessed at the appropriate rate per credit. For non-residents, these rates are $715 per credit for lower division, $757 for upper division, and $979 for graduate credit.

  • Non-residents may take up to 4 credits per semester at the resident rate; however, additional credits will cause all credits, including the first four, to be re-assessed at the non-resident rate.
  • For Alaskan residents, additional credits are assessed at $202 per credit for lower division, $244 for upper division, and $466 for graduate credit.
  • Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program: residents of Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming and are eligible under the WUE program. The WUE surcharge is 150% of the lower division resident tuition rate.

Tuition prices vary, based upon the following criteria:

  • Lower division (000 - 299 level), upper division (300-499 level) and graduate (600-699 level) courses.
  • Resident - State of Alaska, Sister City, Yukon and Northwest Territory residents.
  • Non-resident - Residents of all non-WUE states, International students.
  • WUE - residents of the 14 other participating western states and the Northern Mariana Islands

Following are three graphs showing tuition costs per credit for Resident, WUE and Non-RES for Lower Division, Upper Division and Graduate level courses per semester.


#Resident $202WUE $303Non-Res $715
4 credits or less same as resident tuition


#Resident $244WUE $366Non-Res $757
4 credits or less same as resident tuition

GRADUATE (600-699)

#Resident $466Non-Res $979
4 credits or less same as resident tuition

2017-2018 Fees

Network Access Fee

  • Lower Division: $8 per credit
  • Upper Division: $10 per credit
  • Graduate: $19 per credit
  • Non-resident rate: $29 per Lower Division (100-200 level) credit
  • Non-resident rate: $30 per Upper Division (300-400 level) credit
  • Non-resident rate: $40 per Graduate credit

The purpose of the network charge is to cover rapidly rising costs, especially in the maintenance and enhancement of our university-wide technology infrastructure. The charge will be applied at a 4% rate on a course-by-course basis to tuition, non-resident surcharges if applicable, and fees in lieu of tuition, for credit and non-credit courses. Courses with applicable fees less than the lower division credit hour tuition rate will be exempt from the charge. All calculated fees will be rounded to the nearest dollar.

Consolidated Fee - Juneau

$47 per credit

The non-refundable consolidated fee is used to provide students with a variety of opportunities and services that enhance the quality of the educational experience and facilitate the delivery of instruction. The fee covers the costs associated with the use of various in-class and e-Learning instructional materials, supplies, and technologies, learning support resources, student activities and recreation, as well as the activities of student government.

Consolidated Fee - Sitka and Ketchikan

$25 per credit

The non-refundable consolidated fee is used to provide students with a variety of opportunities and services that enhance the quality of the educational experience and facilitate the delivery of instruction. The fee covers the costs associated with instructional materials, technologies, student activities, as well as the activities of student government.

Optional Student Alumni Fee (Juneau Only - Applies to Fall Term)

$15 per year, optional*

The optional student alumni fee is charged to students taking 6 or more credits during the fall semester. Students must notify UAS cashier or Alumni Office if they would like to opt out of the fee two weeks following the start of the Fall term. Students starting in the Spring will need to notify the UAS Alumni Office for membership.

Lab/Materials Fees

A lab/material fee may be charged for certain courses that require the use of special materials, supplies, services, or equipment as noted in course descriptions.

* Fee is refundable if student requests to opt out by the last day to drop classes with 100% refund. (See Academic Calendar for 100% refund dates.)

Miscellaneous Student Fees

Whale Card ID Replacement 

UAS has a new one card system. Go to Student Accounts office in the Novatney Building to get your card. It's your ID, Meal Plan and Key Access, all in one! Older ID's are no longer valid and key access will not work. Come see us in Student Accounts for more information.

Your first card is free, any lost cards will cost $10 to replace. Please come visit Student Accounts in Novatney 215 to get your card.

Student Housing Vehicle Registration

Student Housing residents may register one vehicle per student at Student Housing without a fee. Limits are one vehicle per single resident (no boats or trailers), and two vehicles for family residents. Students failing to register their vehicle will be assessed a parking fee and may have their vehicle removed from the student housing lot.

Monthly Bus Pass

All current UAS students are eligible for a discounted monthly bus pass. Students enrolled in 9 credits or more can purchase one for $20.00 and the price for students enrolled in less than 9 credits is $40.00. The bus pass is good for unlimited riding all month anywhere in the Juneau Borough. 


Student fees for the fall term are due by

September 11, 2017.

  Thank you.

Payment Options

  • Web:  Log onto UAOnline to pay with any major credit card or a checking account.**
    • Paying with a debit card? Many debit cards have a daily limit of $500 to $2,000. If you try to make a payment for more than that amount, your card may be declined unless you communicate with your bank first.
  • In Person:  Cash or check payments can be made at the walk-up counter, second floor of Novatney Building, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Credit cards are not accepted at the walk-up counter, but you can use a credit card quickly and safely at UAOnline.**
  • By Mail:  Send checks payable to UAS, clearly marked with the student ID to ensure it is credited to the proper student account, to: 
    • UAS Office of the Bursar
      11066 Auke Lake Way
      Juneau, AK 99801

** Beginning June 1, 2016 credit and debit card tuition and fee payments made through UAOnline includes a NON-REFUNDABLE transaction fee of 2.75% that will be charged separately to your card. Web Check/ACH payments continue to be FREE through UAOnline.

Billing Statements

Electronic bills are generated on the 15th of each month and made available via UAOnline. An e-mail reminder will be sent to your UA assigned email address each time a new bill is generated. To view your electronic bill, go to UAOnline and choose Student Services & Account Information from the main menu, then select Student Account, and then Statement and Payment history. The Student Account option will also direct you to where you can make a payment.

Payment is due by the published deadline even if a bill is not received.  It is your responsibility to periodically check your account to ensure you are in good standing.

Instructions on how to pay online

Don't wait in line; pay tuition and fees online! The TouchNet system is open 24/7 and you are able to provide permission to others to access and pay your Student Account online.

Instructions for online fee payment (credit card or personal check)

  1. Go to, select Login to Secured Area and log on using your student ID and PIN Number.
  2. Select Student Services and Account Information.
  3. Select Student Account
  4. Select Account Detail for Term (Semester) Pay Term Balance.
  5. Carefully read the instructions and terms on this page.
  6. Select Make a Payment, select term, amount, and payment method.*
  7. Print the confirmation page. Review the Account Detail for Term to verify the payment was accepted.

*If paying by credit card, choose the type of card; enter the credit card number and the expiration date. NOTE: The address on your credit card bill must match the billing address that you enter on this screen. 

*If paying by check, enter the routing number, account number, name, address and amount. Click on Continue. If you agree with the terms, click on I Agree.

Tuition Management Systems

If you would like to pay your education expenses monthly, use the interest-free monthly payment option offered by our partner, Tuition Management Systems. The payment plan is available for a small enrollment fee and includes personal account service, automated account information 24 hours a day, and access to your account through their website. For more information on payment options, education loans, free education payment counseling, please visit the Tuition Management Systems website at You may also call them toll-free at 1-800-356-8329.

Paying with Financial Aid

Financial aid will appear on your student account when it is disbursed by the Financial Aid Office. To ensure that your aid is disbursed timely, please review the Financial Aid checklist on their webpage at

The Student Accounts Office and the Office of Financial Aid are two separate departments, but they work closely together. If you have any questions regarding your Student Accounts statements, please contact Student Accounts at (907) 796-6267. If you have questions regarding your Financial Aid Award Letter or have other questions concerning your aid eligibility/status, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (907) 796-6255.

Class Cancellation Guidelines

If you have registered for classes but have changed your mind about attending, it is your responsibility to inform the Registration Office that you wish to cancel your reservations. Otherwise, you are liable for any charges due on your student account.

When you register as a student at UAS, you are agreeing to pay all charges on your student account when due, and acknowledge that the University may drop* or suspend registration for non-payment, and withhold a degree or official transcript if these charges are not paid. If your account is not paid by the due date, or no payment arrangements have been made, an institutional hold will be placed on your account.

*This is NOT a guarantee of being dropped; you must OFFICIALLY drop a course WITHIN THE DROP PERIOD to cancel financial responsibility for selected courses.

Tuition Waivers

If you are using any kind of tuition waiver, please fill form out completely and submit it to the Student Accounts office. You may submit by fax (907) 796-6006 or in person at the Novatney Building room 215.

Senior Citizen Waiver

The UA Board of Regents policy waives regular tuition for Alaska residents at the age of full Social Security retirement benefits. You are eligible to utilize the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver and enroll in UAS courses if:

  • you are a permanent resident of Alaska;
  • you are eligible to receive full Social Security retirement benefits; and
  • there is space (i.e. no wait list) in the class or classes you want.

Do not register until the first day of instruction if you are using a senior tuition waiver. You must meet both age and residency requirements by one of the following dates to be eligible for the corresponding semester: September 1 for fall; January 1 for spring; May 1 for summer. Reimbursements will not be made to senior citizens who pay for a course and then request a waiver. Please call (907) 796-6267 for more information.

Employee Tuition Waiver

Employee tuition waivers "waive" the cost of 16 credits per academic year for University employees. Other criteria:

  • Tuition waivers cover tuition only.
  • Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 must satisfy the six-month new employee probationary period to be eligible for the tuition waiver benefits for themselves and their dependents.
  • The employee must be employed on the first day of instruction to be eligible.
  • The employee is responsible for paying all other fees by the payment deadline.
  • Tuition Waivers must be submitted before the end of the semester.
  • Tuition Waivers must be signed by the employee to be valid.
  • Reimbursements will not be made to employees/dependents who pay for a course or courses and later become eligible.
  • Dependents must be under the age of 24 on the first day of instruction to be eligible.
  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate and 3.0 for graduate students is required to continue receiving tuition waiver benefits.
  • Waivers found to be ineligible will be reversed and the students will be responsible for payment of waived tuition

Please mail or fax waivers to the Business Office at 11066 Auke Lake Way, Juneau, AK 99801 or (907) 796-6006.


There are many reasons why a student might be eligible for a refund. If you have questions or believe you should have a refund please call us at (907) 796-6267 or email us at Refund checks picked up at the Student Accounts Office require current, valid identification that matches to the check name.  Refund checks will not be released to third-parties without prior authorization and approval.

Refunds can take up to two weeks to process after being requested.

Financial Aid Refund

Refunds to students for Financial Aid are generated after the aid is received and all charges have been paid. Refunds for payments made on a student account should be requested by notifying Student Accounts at (907) 796-6267. Each semester, initial disbursement of financial aid to your student account begins no earlier than 10 days prior to the first day of classes. Please note that the disbursement date is not the day you should expect a refund, but rather, this is the day we begin processing. The fastest way to receive your money is sign up for Direct Deposit on

All approved Financial Aid/Scholarship information is reflected on the billing statements. If you are awarded additional scholarships after the billing statements are e-mailed out, you should contact the Student Accounts Office to request a new bill. If you are a sponsored student and your tuition or fees will be paid by an independent third party or University Department, please call (907) 796-6492. If you are expecting Financial Aid or Scholarships that are not listed on your student account, call the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 or email at

Petitions for a Tuition Refund

Petitions for refund of University financial obligations may be granted when a student has been physically disabled, has experienced a death in the family, has a change in employment hours or location beyond the student's control or has other extenuating circumstances. Written documentation of the condition is required (petition forms may be obtained online, from the Student Accounts office, or from Records and Registration). All petitions should be turned into Records and Registration. Petitions are reviewed only if documentation of circumstances is provided. Petitions are reviewed only after a student has officially withdrawn from the course(s). After the fourth week of the semester, verification of attendance and participation is required from each instructor. Petitions must be filed by the last day of instruction for the term for which the petition is filed.

Direct Deposit now available

Great News! The University of Alaska is pleased to announce a new and exciting online service for students. Electronic deposit of financial aid and refunds directly to your bank account is now available. Direct Deposit will allow:

  • Access to your funds sooner
  • No waiting for a check in the mail!
  • No waiting in line to deposit your check into your bank account
  • No worry about checks lost in the mail!
  • Safe and secure Ach transfer direct to your bank account!
  • Receive email notifications to your University of Alaska assigned email address when refund is deposited in bank account!
  • Easy to use. Enroll Online!

Once you set up your bank information online (checking or savings), all future refunds and financial aid will be deposited directly to your bank account within 3-4 days of when the University processes a payment.

The initial setup is quite simple and will only have to be done once during your life as a UA student unless you change banks or decide to stop participating in your direct deposit.

You will be notified via UA e-mail when the setup is complete, when a deposit is processed and any time you make changes to your direct deposit bank information.

To learn more about Direct Deposit, click on "Information on Direct Deposit Services" on UAOnline home page (prior to logging in to Secured Area)

To set up direct deposit and begin receiving Direct Deposits, sign on to UAOnline Secured Area. Then:

  1. Click on Student Services; Financial Aid & Account Information.
  2. Click on Direct Deposit Services.
  3. Click on First time Setup off direct deposit (take note of the other options available here once you have initially set up direct deposit).
  4. Next, follow the instructions on how to enter your bank information. Be sure to confirm your account number with your bank.
  5. End by clicking on the "Submit" button.

Petty Cash Reimbursement

On department approval, legitimate University expenses, under $100 incurred by employees out-of-pocket, may be reimbursed directly to the employees from the Student Accounts office by presenting a petty cash voucher along with the original sales receipts.

The voucher must be signed by the head of the department or the Supervisor for whom the funds are being spent. 

Petty cash vouchers can be obtained from the Student Accounts office in the Novatney building, room 215.


Content maintained by Webmaster.