Education Record Information Release (FERPA)
Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you are entitled, as a Univeristy of Alaska student, to review your education records. Except for directory information, no personally identifiable information is disclosed to agencies outside the university without the written permission of the student, or as otherwise permitted under FERPA.
To give permission to release any of your education record information you must fill out the Education Record Information Release form (316KB) and submit it, along with a government issued ID (if copied/faxed the ID must be legible).
Directory Information (Confidentiality Flag)
The University of Alaska (UA) System has recently adopted a new policy, which places restrictions on a student record designated with a ‘directory information’ hold.
If you do have a ‘directory information’ hold (confidentiality flag) on your student record the following applies:
- You will be able to discuss your account or university business with UA staff or faculty only in person and with a valid government-issued ID or university ID. You will not be able to receive assistance from university employees regarding your account by phone, email, or mail.
- Your name will not appear in the published university chancellor’s and dean’s lists, commencement program, or any other university publications.
- You will not be eligible for enrollment and/or degree verifications; your attendance and/or degree will not be verified for insurance companies, scholarships, potential employers, etc. without your written consent.
- Electronic student services will be limited by a confidential hold. Students with a confidential hold will be able to request login assistance, such as password resets, only in person and with a valid government-issued ID or university ID. You will not be able to receive assistance regarding your electronic university accounts (email, UAOnline, etc) by phone, online, email, or mail.
Please be aware that the following personal information may be made public without your express permission if you do not have a directory hold on your record:
- Name of student
- Dates of attendance at UA school
- Program/Major field(s) of study
- Degrees and certificates received including dates
- Participation in officially recognized University activities
- Academic and co-curricular awards, honors, and scholarships received and dates received.
- Electronic mail addresses
- Hometown: city and state
If you would like to change the status of the directory hold on your record (you have a hold and want it released or you don’t have a hold and you want one placed), this can be done on UAOnline, on the main "Student Services & Account Information" page, under the heading "Change Confidentiality/Directory Hold Information." Or you may complete and submit the Directory Release form (103KB) to the Office of the Registrar along with a copy of a government issued ID.