Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

Parking Policy

All parking spaces atop University Drive in the housing complex require a parking permit; therefore, each vehicle must be registered and permitted through the Housing Lodge.  Beginning Fall 2013, as a courtesy, residents are eligible to register ONE vehicle for no additional charge as part of their full-year Housing Agreement.

Parking Registration

Residents are required to register their vehicles with the Housing Lodge.  Once registered, the registration and permit is good for the entire academic year – from August to August – provided the individual registering the vehicle continues to be a resident within the Housing community.

Parking Permit

Each resident is eligible to register ONE vehicle and receive an identifying permit free of charge.  Residents are not recommended to have more than one vehicle; however, if extenuating circumstances mandate having an additional vehicle, residents may write an appeal to be submitted to the Housing Lodge Desk (Email:  The director/coordinator may request a meeting or the submittal of additional information to make a decision.  If an additional registration/permit is granted, the fee is $50.

Permit Placement

The permit decal should be placed in the lower passenger-side corner of the windshield, visible for staff inspection.

Permit Fraud

Individuals found to possess an invalid or stolen permit on their windshield, or residents are found to have given or lent their permit to the driver of an unregistered vehicle will be fined $100 and be subjected to disciplinary action.  Temporary short-term parking permits are available at the Housing Lodge Desk for special circumstances.

Vehicle and Parking Violation Fines

Unregistered vehicles without permit$25
Parked in handicap, service fire zones and areas$100
Parked in restricted or reserved space$50
Prolonged inoperable condition of vehicle$25/day
Parked in inappropriate place (non-space)$50
Vehicle occupying more than one space$25
Resident parked in visitor space$15
Abandoned vehicle removal$325
Failure to Move Vehicle for Posted Snow Plowing$30
Moving Violations
Failure to adhere to speed limit$20
Failure to adhere to traffic flow direction$20
Reckless driving / pedestrian endangerment$50
Other Fees
DMV License Plate Research Administrative Fee$10


Street-legal, licensed motorcycles may be registered as the ONE vehicle per resident.  A small parking area has been created for motorcycle use, and it is recommended that owners use that area for parking.  Motorcycle use on premises is limited to personal transportation purposes only.  Excessive noise from repeated revving of the engine is discouraged as it disturbs other residents.  Use of the parking lot and driveways for trick riding, that may be considered “recreational use” of the motorcycle, is prohibited. 

Visitor Parking

Several parking spots, closer to the Housing Lodge, have been designated for visitor parking.  Residents should NOT use these parking spaces, while visitors should be directed to park in these areas. If a guest finds that visitor parking is full when they arrive, they should visit the Lodge Desk to receive a visitor parking pass so that they may park in permitted parking without charge. After hours, these guests should call the CA Cell Phone at (907) 209-6539.

Parking Lot & Driveway Guidelines

In order to provide for the protection of pedestrians, to keep fire lanes clear, and to avoid unnecessary expense for campus maintenance, it is the policy of Student Housing that motor vehicles are not permitted to be operated or parked on campus malls, sidewalks, and lawns. The following vehicles may be operated on campus malls, sidewalks and lawns without special approval by the Facilities Services:

  • Emergency vehicles (police, fire, medical, etc.)

  • Approved vehicles for handicap use

  • Certain maintenance and operating vehicles

  • Snow removal and grass cutting equipment

  • Mail, fuel, and commercial delivery vehicles

Student-owned vehicles may not park up on sidewalks, on the walkways between apartment buildings, or on the access road to the rear of Banfield Hall unless they have gained approval from a staff member to move heavy belongings in or out. Residents requesting such permission may contact the CA on duty by calling 209-6539, and the CA can decide whether to unlock the gates. Residents may not drive on sidewalks and walkways simply to unload groceries or other such items; the gates will remain open for residents to move in and out of their apartments at the start and end of each semester.

Specially-marked spaces are reserved with posted signs, including Housing vehicle spaces, maintenance vehicle spaces, professional live-in staff spaces, and handicap spaces. Students and their guests may not park along curbs, on grass, or on the street anywhere in the housing complex. Additionally, vehicles may not be parked in front of dumpster sheds or in the areas marked off with diagonal yellow lines. Fines will be assessed to drivers who park inappropriately.

All residents, staff and guests are expected to abide by posted speed limit signs.  The parking lot area experiences high pedestrian traffic, so it is very important to proceed slowly through the parking lot area.  Also, the flow of traffic in the parking lot veers to the right upon entrance and moves counter-clockwise through the lot.  Failure to follow the directional flow of the parking lot is considered a moving violation.

Reserved Spaces for University Staff & Designated ADA/Disabled Parking

Unauthorized vehicles parked in reserved parking spaces may be ticketed and/or towed.  The parking violation fee for this type of offense is $50 for staff & service spots and $100 for ADA/Disabled spots.

Inoperable Vehicles

Staff reserves the right to request that residents demonstrate their vehicles are operation by having them start their vehicle and drive it, without mechanical assistance, to be relocated to a different parking spot.  Vehicles have to be operational to be registered and parked in the Housing lot.  If a vehicle is determined to NOT be operational condition, the registrant may face a $25/day charge until the vehicle is repaired or removed.  Residents may work with the director/coordinator to establish a plan of action with deadlines for repairs to be made to avoid unnecessary fines.  Communication is vital!     

Abandoned Vehicles

Vehicles left on premises for more than 10 days without being registered to a current Housing resident may be considered “abandoned” and will be towed from the premises.  The charged incurred will become the responsibility of the vehicle’s registered owner. For special parking circumstances, see the Housing Lodge Desk about temporary short-term permits.

Vehicle Damage, Loss or Vandalism

Report all vehicle accidents, losses or vandalism to the Housing Lodge Desk or to the CA On-Duty. Staff will assist residents with documentation of situations and/or with contacting local police or UAS facilities.  The University assumes no liability for loss or damage to vehicles parked on the University campus

Student parking bike in front of Banfiled HallBicycles & Bicycle Racks

The bicycle racks provided are the only exterior Housing locations approved for bicycle storage.  Apartment residents have the option of keeping their bicycles in the storage room of their unit.  Bicycles are not permitted to be stored on apartment porches, on the Banfield Hall entry bridge, or anywhere within Banfield Hall.  The racks are located at Banfield Hall Bike Shack, behind the Housing Lodge, and on the porch at Apartment G1, near the campus trailhead.

Scooters, Skateboards & Roller-Skates

Non-motorized transportation devices, such as scooters, skateboards and roller-skates, as well as bicycles/unicycles, may use the Housing sidewalks, walkways & campus trails provided they are being used safely for personal transportation use, in a manner that is non-threatening to pedestrian traffic and is not a disturbance/nuisance to the Housing community.  ‘Trick riding’ is considered recreational use and is not permitted.



Content maintained by Webmaster with assistance from UAS Student Services.