Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alaska administers the University of Alaska health insurance program. You can reach customer service at 1-800-364-2982.
Benefits Summaries by Employee Classification:
Faculty Benefits Summary
Staff Benefits Summary
Temporary Employee Benefits Summary
Use the following links for easy access to benefit information and forms:
Statewide Benefits Page - information on health benefits, forms, retirement investing.
Blue Cross - medical claim form.
Flexible Spending Accounts - for medical or dependent care accounts with the university contract vendor Fringe Benefit Management Co.
Tax Deferred Annuity Vendors - your choice of numerous options.
Employee health care rates - costs for 12 month as well as rates for less than 12 month employees.
MAJOR LIFE EVENT
Outside of the annual open enrollment period (usually April with effective date the first day of July) an employee may change an enrollment election (i.e., add or delete dependents, change level of coverage) only if they have experienced a "Major Life Event". The following are considered major life events:
- Marriage or divorce of the employee (see note below)
- Death of the employee's spouse or dependent
- Birth or adoption of a child by the employee
- Termination of employment (or commencement of employment) of the employee's spouse
- Switching from part-time to full-time employment status by the employee or employee's spouse.
- Taking of an unpaid leave of absence by the employee or the employee's spouse.
- A significant change in health coverage of the employee or the employee's spouse attributable to the spouse' employment.
Note: Changes due to marriage/divorce may be accompanied by a copy of the marriage
certificate/divorce decree. Changes due to change in a spouse's employment may require proof.
Forms to Make Changes Due to a Major Life Event:
If you have experienced a Major Life Event, you may wish to add or delete dependents, or change your
optional benefit elections. The following "list of forms" below may assist you making your decision(s).
Please be advised that while you may change the beneficiary of your life insurance at any time, other
changes which alter your level of benefit coverage (health insurance, life insurance, etc.) must be
received by Human Resource Services within 30 days of the major life event. (Exception: the birth/adoption of a
new child, child may be added to health up to 60 days after date of birth).
LIST OF FORMS TO MAKE CHANGES DUE TO A MAJOR LIFE EVENT:
UA Change Form (change address, name, or marital status, etc.)
W4 Form Year 2012 (change withholding, etc.) external site link
Automatic Deposit (update if there has been a change in bank accounts, etc.)
You may want to contact your pension or ORP vendor to change beneficiary or address information.
PERS or TRS, Division of Retirement
Beneficiary Designation Form (to add/delete/change beneficiaries) return form to Human Resources.
Spouse is required beneficiary for PERS or TRS unless the spouse signs the waiver on the back of the beneficiary form.
Marital status with the DOR is automatically updated through Human Resources when employee submits the UA Change Form.
Enrollment/Change Form (add or remove dependent)
Beneficiary Designation Form (change life insurance beneficiary information)
Employee Selected Benefits/Deduction Form:
- Supplemental Life: Increase/ decrease level of supplemental life insurance if applicable
- AD&D: Start, stop, or change AD&D from "family" to "self" coverage
- Flexible Spending Account: start, stop or change, dependent care or health flexible spending account