Title IX and Campus Safety
Title IX & Campus Safety
All members of our university community - students, employees, and visitors—have a right to be free from gender discrimination and sexual misconduct. A safe campus environment for learning is a top priority here at the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS). As Chancellor, I’m committed to ensuring that we meet this goal.
Since the University of Alaska (UA) system signed a Voluntary Resolution Agreement with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) in 2017, UAS has continued to focus on improving campus safety and combating gender and sexual misconduct. Consistent with UA Board of Regents policy and university regulation, we continue to work to make our campuses safer by educating employees and students alike about Title IX policies, resources, and practices, by providing resources for those impacted by sexual assault and harassment, and by ensuring that due process rights of all parties are protected. UAS is committed to abiding fully by all applicable federal and state statutes, UA Board of Regents policy, and university regulations.
- Promoting Title IX training for all students and employees
- Utilizing a UA system-wide Title IX case tracking system
- Collaborating with both UAA and UAF Title IX offices and staff
- Ensuring timely response to all Title IX reports
- Continuing partnerships with community organizations--like those of AWARE / WISH / SAFV--to provide support and advocacy services to those who are survivors of sexual assault
- Meeting regularly with a Title IX advisory committee made up of students, faculty, staff, and community members
- Conducting proactive prevention presentations and programs with community partners such as Planned Parenthood and Juneau Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Supporting UA system-wide Campus Climate Surveys and continuing improvements based on the findings
- Maintaining memorandums of agreement with the Juneau Police, Ketchikan Police, and the Sitka Police departments.
As a student, employee, or visitor to our campuses, you have a right to a safe educational and workplace environment. I ask for your continued engagement and support as we work together to achieve the goal of safer campuses and communities. As always, I value your feedback and ideas about how best to achieve this goal here at UAS.
For more information: