High School Transition
Covid-19 Office Operations
Our offices are available for phone or video appointments. Email or call for more information. For information, please visit the UA coronavirus information website.
Students Transitioning from High School
Students with disabilities transitioning from high school need to:
- Make an appointment with Disability Services.
- Provide diagnostic and evaluative reports
- Request reasonable accommodations that are supported by documentation
Reasonable accommodations include modifications and adjustments that do not fundamentally alter or lower the standards of an instructional program
Students may receive reasonable accommodations to "level the playing field" but these accommodations are meant to ensure equal access not to guarantee success.
Students also need to be their own advocate
High school students may be used to having parents speak for them. It can be hard to ask for help and to discuss disability openly. At Disability Services we understand that and try to provide a safe environment. However, students must learn to advocate for themselves at the University For more information on self-advocacy please view our Self-Advocacy webpage.
Other Helpful Handouts on High School Transition
- University of Alaska Southeast High School Transition Handout
- U.S. Department of Education Publication- "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know your Rights and Responsibilities