UAS Grievance Policy
It is the policy of University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) not to discriminate on the basis of disability. UAS has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Section 504 and the ADA prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
- Grievances may be submitted to the coordinator through the online reporting form by completing the UAS discrimination report form, containing the name and address of the person filing it. The complaint must state the problem or action alleged to be discriminatory and the remedy or relief sought. If desired, a hard copy of the grievance form is available from the UAS Office of Equity and Compliance.
- The ADA/504 Coordinator (or designee) will conduct an investigation of the complaint. This investigation may be informal, but it will be thorough, affording all involved persons an opportunity to submit information relevant to the complaint.
- The ADA/504 Coordinator will issue a written decision regarding the inquiry/investigation into the matter. The ADA/504 Coordinator will maintain the files and records relating to the complaints filed.
- The person filing the report may appeal the decision of the ADA/504 Coordinator in writing at email@example.com or submit the appeal document at 11066 Auke Lake Way Henderson 202A within 15 calendar days from the date of the ADA/504 Coordinator’s decision. A UA ADA/ 504 Professional shall issue a written decision in response to the appeal no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The availability and use of this grievance procedure does not prevent a person from filing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability with the US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.
- To the extent possible, privacy will be maintained throughout the investigation of a complaint of unlawful discrimination or harassment.
For any further questions please contact the ADA/504 Coordinator:11066 Auke Lake Way,
Juneau, AK 99801