Skip to Main Content

Parents and Counselors

Information about UAS for parents, guardians, and counselors to help students plan for college.

Important Deadlines

Deadline DateDeadline Description

Spring Semester Application Deadline

University of Alaska Scholarship Deadline

Summer Semester Application Deadline


Fall Semester Application Deadline

Common FAQs

University of Alaska Southeast
Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801

To qualify for Alaska resident tuition, your student must be physically present in Alaska for two years prior to the published first day of instruction for the semester in which they apply and declare the intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely.

A dependent child (one who is unmarried, younger than age 24, and financially dependent on his/her parent or guardian) will be considered a resident for tuition purposes if he or she has a parent or guardian that qualifies as a current Alaska resident.

Dependent children of alumni who have received an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree from the University of Alaska also qualify for resident tuition.

Others eligible for resident tuition include, active duty military, their spouses and dependents, and residents of Sister Cities as approved by the Board of Regents.

Contact the Admissions Office for more details at (907) 796-6100 or

Application for Resident Tuition

To qualify for Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition rates, the student must be a resident in one of the following states:

  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Hawai'i
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Please note that not all programs are eligible for WUE tuition. Students must attach a WUE Tuition Request to their application for admission requesting to be admitted under the WUE program.  

Students declared as WUE students are not eligible for resident tuition rates.

Contact the Admissions Office for more details at (907) 796-6100 or

Yes, a dependent child of a person who holds an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree from any University of Alaska campus is eligible for resident tuition.

Application for Resident Tuition

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens on October 1 of each year for students who will be attending college the following fall semester. You do not need to complete this year's taxes before your student completes the FAFSA. Students filling out the FAFSA can use tax information from the previous year.

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows FAFSA applicants to access the tax return information needed to complete the FAFSA, and transfer the required information directly into the FAFSA from the IRS. The FAFSA includes a link to the IRS for applicants who are eligibile to use the Data Retrieval Tool.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and visit the Financial Aid website or call the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 for more information and scholarship deadlines.

UAS participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Student Loan, and Federal Work-Study programs in addition to state loan, and grant programs. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Some scholarships, however, are based on academic potential and performance.

The deadline for merit-based UAS scholarships is February 15th.

To apply for need-based programs, students should contact the Financial Aid office.

To begin the process for UAS scholarship, there are two portions, the first is through UAOnline and the second is through the UAS Financial Aid website. Please visit the Financial Aid website for step by step instructions.

If you have any questions please contact the Financial Aid office at (907) 796-6255 or toll free at 1-877-465-4827 ext. 6255.

Before meeting with an academic advisor and registering for classes, incoming students who have not passed college level math or English courses need to take placement tests. Placement tests are available on all three campuses, and by distance as well. For more information on the placement tests, visit the Learning and Testing Center website.

Prospective students wishing to take a placement test in a location other than their campus of enrollment need to find a proctor (not a family member or friend) in their area and then follow the procedure for setting up a remote placement test according to the campus they plan on attending. Follow the link for campus of enrollment:

Once your student's application is processed, the Admissions Office will issue your student an ID number that will enable them to access UAOnline where they can check on the status of their application, as well as apply for UA Scholarships, register for classes, and more.

Students are not obligated to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

You can pay for your student's tuition over the phone by contacting Student Accounts at (907) 796-6267. Please have your student's information ready.

Payment Options

UAS Offers both a Fall and Spring Orientation program on the Juneau and Ketchikan campuses. Orientation is required for all new degree seeking students who are registered for 12 credits or more. We encourage students to sign up at the UAS Orientation webpage.

There is a parent Orientation offered during the Fall Orientation on the Juneau campus.

Students are not obligated to share their UAS information with their parents or guardians.

Students may give permission to UAS to release any of their education record information, however they must complete an Education Record Information Release form and submit it with a copy of their government issued ID.

Yes! UAS Admissions Representatives travel all over the state of Alaska and in the Lower 48. Please contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6069 or email us at

Yes! We would be happy to set up a campus visit for any high school student or group that will be in Juneau. Please fill out a Visit Request form, or contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6069 or email