Metadata is data within the CMS that describes an Asset. Common fields such as title, summary, or keywords provide quick information about the content contained inside of a particular Asset. Metadata that a user enters for Assets can be used for display purposes on site pages.
Required metadata shows in the 'Content' Tab in edit mode
- Display Name - the short name of the Assets, distinct from the system name that is displayed on the left hand navigation, on the bread crumbs bar, and in the banner for pages.
- Title - the title of the Asset - this will show at the top of a web browser for that page.
- Keywords - words or phrases about the Asset - this will enable the site search to prioritize this asset in search results.
- Description - the description of the Asset
System metadata shows in the 'System' Tab in edit mode
- Include in Indexing - should be checked for pages and files that will be in the general navigation of the site.
- Include in Navigation - should be checked for pages and files that will be in the specific left side navigation of the site.
- Include in Publishing - should be checked for pages and files that will be published to the live server.
Additional metadata shows in the 'Metadata' Tab in edit mode
- Summary - the synopsis of the Asset
- Teaser - a short enticing phrase about the Asset
- Author - the person or organization responsible for the Asset
- Review Date - the date and time for the content to be reviewed with a respective workflow
- Start Date - the date and time the content should be made public
- Expiration Date - the date and time the content should no longer be made public
- Expiration Folder - the folder the content should be moved to upon reaching the expiration date